Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:34 pm
    ----
Here is the link: www.nbc.com/who-do-you...ndex.shtml

The show is called "Who do you think you are?" I believe it starts Friday, March 5th and traces the heritage of various celebrities. They actually filmed part of it in the court that I work in. Of course no one told me that they were filming so I missed all of the excitement.

#2: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:39 pm
    ----
Thanks Lori. I am looking forward to seeing it. Have you seen the new series called Faces of America? I am dying to hear what everyone thinks of it since I haven't snince it yet.

#3: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:21 am
    ----
I haven't seen that yet. Is that the one on PBS?

#4: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:29 am
    ----
That's for posting Lori I'll make it a point to watch and Nuccia I haven't seen Faces of America either

#5: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 am
    ----
Thanks Lori. I really wanted to watch that. I hope I can figure out how to tape it because it doesn't look like they will have the episodes available online.

#6: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 am
    ----
Hey all! "Faces of America" on PBS is great. I watched an episode last night. In this episode they did various flashbacks for different individuals tying what had been revealed before and newer revelations.

It takes a lot for me to miss one of my favorite shows but I have watched each episode. They have been fascinating, educational and very interesting. I am hoping when the series finished that they do replays like they have done on the Park series or the one on the Presidents.

lilbees

#7: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 am
    ----
I also watched the Faces of America program on PBS last night and highly recommend it. What fascinated me most was the use and results of the DNA testing performed on the various featured people. Well worth everyone's time.

Biff

#8: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:31 pm
    ----
Hey Biff, how about the genome study done on Gates and his father? That was outstanding. They could tell you everything about those people.

lilbees

#9: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm
    ----
I missed Faces of America! Is it going to be on again or available online?

#10: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm
    ----
Hi Cathy, this is an ongoing series. Not online. Check your local listings. My daughter watches it and she lives in Gurnee, IL. on channel 11 (PBS)

lilbees

#11: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:12 pm
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Hey Biff, how about the genome study done on Gates and his father? That was outstanding. They could tell you everything about those people.
lilbees

And how about the Muslim Turkish doctor who shared a common ancestor with the Jewish director? I'm fascinated at how the advances in the sciences validate a lot of the information in the Old Testament.

Biff

#12: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
Quote::
"Who do you think you are?"
We have had that programme on our TV for quite some time now and its really worth watching. Some of the famous people taking part were in tears at some of the information they discovered about their ancestors.

There is also another programme running here at the moment I think it's named 'Fortune Hunters'. This prog. is about firms that look up information about people who have died without leaving a will and without any knowledge if that person has relatives who are still alive. They do lots of research re the ancestors of that person, when they find a relative then they get them to sign up and when all the information is gathered then the firm gets a percentage of the money paid to those relatives. If the firm hadnt done this work then the money left by the deceased would have gone to the 'Crown'.
It was really nice to see those people's reactions when they discovered they had relatives they hadn't known about and it came across that this was more important to them than the money they would be receiving.
Good viewing
Emmy

#13: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: qnana PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:30 pm
    ----
If you go to PBS.org you can find Faces of America and watch each of the episodes. I found the whole thing absolutely fascinating and watched 3 episodes again online. I only wish Gates would tell how he found what he found (besides traveling to China!!!)

qnana Very Happy

#14: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 pm
    ----
I hope there will be a rerun on later tonight, I have work! I think it really looks great, and I can't wait to see it.

#15: Re: March 5: genealogy series on NBC in US Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm
    ----
Here is a link to an amusing article in the NY Times about the show: www.nytimes.com/2010/0...think.html

I like this quote: "Some of us may take the genealogical plunge expecting cool family stories like the ones the celebrities get, only to find that we’ve been ordinary and uninteresting since we were living in caves."

LOL, this seems to apply to my long paternal line of goat shepherds.

-> General Discussion Groups