Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Latin help
-> Translations

#1: Latin help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:47 pm
    ----
I am working on baptism records and know only enough to find parent's names and Godparents names. I came across a baptism that contains 1 of my surnames but the father is incerto which I know means unknown. But there appears to be either a mother's name which could be Rosaria Scarlato or it could be the person who presented the baby for baptism. That may be Rosario Scarlato (whom I descend from). I do not see a surname for the baby (other padre incerto babies listed "Esposito" as a surname). I would like to know the baby's surname if possible and why Rosaria or Rosario Scarlato's name appears here - is this person a parent or the person who presented the baby for baptism? Perhaps this person adopted the baby? It is the 2nd baptism on the page here
I also have a question on the next baptism on the same page. It is for a baby deBuono whose first name I cannot make out. I can see the middle name is Domenico but cannot make out the first name. I am watching the parents of this baby because the father is either the father or the brother of a man I descend from. (the Godparents are my family too)
Thanks for any help you can offer to help me understand this.

#2: Re: Latin help Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:22 pm
    ----
Rosaria Scarlato (daughter of Francesco) is the mother of Gennaro (this is the baby's name) while the father isn't known (i think Rosaria was not married and also if the priest had an idea about the father, he didn't write his name: he said "incerto" and not "sconosciuto"!).
The first name in the next baptism is Bartolo (also if the priest seems to write Bartolomeo in the act and Bartolo on the left side).
L.

#3: Re: Latin help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm
    ----
Thanks Luca! kiss So the baby's surname would have been Scarlato?

#4: Re: Latin help Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:59 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
So the baby's surname would have been Scarlato?
Who knows!

#5: Re: Latin help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:19 pm
    ----
LOL! Very Happy Since the priest was not specific and my family tree software wants a surname I hereby declare this baby's surname is Scarlato! LOL Wink For extraction purposes, (for Cosenza Exchange website) however, I think I should put unknown for the surname since we are not positive. Thanks Luca! I do not know what I would do without you!

-> Translations