Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: register of births
-> Where do I begin?

#1: register of births Author: smokenlily PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm
    ----

My son Luca was born in Sacile,Italy back in 2002..We were stationed in the Army when he was born.He wasnt born on a military base but in the hospital in Sacile...I was just looking at the paper they gave me after he was born and my Cognome de nubile della madre is wrong..They put my married name instead of my maiden name on it...Is there a way to get that fixed in the mail or do I have to go back to Sacile to get it taken care of...We are back in the United States..Also does that qualify him as having dual citizenship?I would like for him to have an Italian passport as well as one from the US since I plan to go back to italy to stay for a few weeks maybe longer. I would love to move back permanently. Also is the Estratto dai registri degli atti di nascita his birth certificate?

Thanks for all your help!!!!
RoseMary

#2: Re: register of births Author: AmorC027Location: Missouri PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 pm
    ----
Welcome! I am brand new to the forums as well...

I am prior active duty and lived overseas for a few years - Every country has their (or used to) protocal governing their citizenship with active duty military personal. To be honest, the best place for you to gain these answers (citizenship) would be your base JAG office.

As far as correcting the bc, I would think you could write to the local government agency who handles this...But, this is a guess on my part.

#3: Re: register of births Author: smokenlily PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:14 pm
    ----

Thank you very much for your answer...I appreciate it..I will definitley look into what you suggested!!!

#4: Re: register of births Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 pm
    ----
smokenlily wrote:

My son Luca was born in Sacile,Italy back in 2002..We were stationed in the Army when he was born.He wasnt born on a military base but in the hospital in Sacile...I was just looking at the paper they gave me after he was born and my Cognome de nubile della madre is wrong..They put my married name instead of my maiden name on it...Is there a way to get that fixed in the mail or do I have to go back to Sacile to get it taken care of...We are back in the United States..Also does that qualify him as having dual citizenship?I would like for him to have an Italian passport as well as one from the US since I plan to go back to italy to stay for a few weeks maybe longer. I would love to move back permanently. Also is the Estratto dai registri degli atti di nascita his birth certificate?

RoseMary
Hi Rosemary! Welcome to Gente!
Our member Riccardo can answer your questions I think. Estratto dai registri degli atti di nascita is a state civil record (they gave you an extract and not a full copy?! Shocked ) that a birth occurred. It is not a birth certificate. You can have the birth act (atti di nascita) amended at the stato civile office, however, I am not sure what they will require to do this. As I said I think Riccardo can answer this best.

#5: Re: register of births Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:20 am
    ----
Cathy wrote:

... Estratto dai registri degli atti di nascita is a state civil record (they gave you an extract and not a full copy?! Shocked ) that a birth occurred. It is not a birth certificate. ...

An Estratto is more accurate than a certificate, and usually you do not need a full copy.

There are 3 different documents: Certificato, Estratto per riassunto and Estratto per copia integrale. They apply to birth, death and marriage.

Let me make an example: Mario Rossi was born on Jan 23, 1863 to Antonio and Maria Verdi. In 1885 Mario changes sex and becomes Rosa, this is annotated on the birth register. Another annotation is made to say that on Aug 22, 1901 Rosa married Giuseppe Bianchi and a third annotation is made to say that Rosa died on Apr 2, 1940.

The Certificato di nascita will state: "Rosa Rossi was born Jan 23, 1883 to Antonio and Maria Verdi"

The Estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita is a copy of the birth act as it appears in the register, including all the annotations and takes into account the corrections. Basically from this document you will learn that "Rosa Rossi was born Jan 23, 1883 to Antonio and Maria Verdi, she married Giuseppe Bianchi on Aug 22, 1901 and she died on Apr 2, 1940

The Estratto per copia integrale dell'atto di nascita is a copy word by word of the birth act including all the annotations.
Some times, to save time, they give you a photocopy. From this document you will know that Rosa was a male named Mario when she was born...

#6: Re: register of births Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 am
    ----
Dear Rosemary, welcome to Gente.
If your son was born in Italy, it doesn't mean that he is an italian citizen.
The italian law says that a baby is italian citizen if at least one of the parent is italian.
If your son grows up in Italy until he is 18, holding his resident permit, there will be one day, when your son is an adult, that italian government will ask him if he wants to turn an italian citizen, so he can live in italy without resident permit, or if he wants to keep his US citizenship.
At that time he will have one year to decide.
If Luca stays in Italy up to 90 days, he doesn't need any permit to stay here in italy.
If you want to change your last name on the real birth record of your son Luca, you need to contact Sacile registrar and follow his guidelines to do so.
I hope it helps.
bye Riccardo
smokenlily wrote:

RoseMary

-> Where do I begin?