Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Death of my great grandfather
-> Non-Italian Genealogy

#1: Death of my great grandfather Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 am
    ----
I have been trying to work on my mom's family who are mostly early American settlers. I was astounded to discover my great grandfather Charles Marion Dewey in a 1900 census. The reason I was astounded was everything I have (written by his son, my grandfather) says he died in 1899. My grandfather was a CPA and very detail oriented so I really do not understand. I can find nothing on his death anywhere. I am hoping someone can. For reference his 1900 census is here Charles Marion Dewey was born on August 6, 1856 in Conkin, NY, moved to New Jersey for a few years, then moved to St. Louis. I have his death in 1899 (which is clearly wrong) in Ames, Iowa. My mom told me he committed suicide. Can someone help me find something? Thanks.

#2: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 am
    ----
Cathy, he may have been recorded on the census but there is a notation of numbers on his name (12-2). Maybe he would show up on the Federal Mortality Schedule for 1899 or 1900. I have found several members that way.

lilbees

#3: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 am
    ----
Thanks, I did not know about the Federal Mortality thing. I will check tonight.

#4: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm
    ----
Cathy, Check this out.

i460.photobucket.com/a...904jpb.jpg

i460.photobucket.com/a...4jpb-1.jpg

i460.photobucket.com/a...pb-1-1.jpg

Shows Chas. M. Dewey death 1904 by Carbolic Acid line 13

You will probably have to enlarge because it is 2 pages.

[quote]You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
Missouri Death Records, 1834-1910
about Chas M Dewey
Name: Chas M Dewey
Death Date: 25 May 1904
Birth Date: abt 1856
County: St Louis
Death Location: St Louis
Race/Ethnicity: White

lilbees

I split the pages so you can see better............

#5: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
    ----
WOW Thanks! That's amazing! I have something at home that says he was a Foreman so maybe the suicide story is wrong! Perhaps it was an accident. If it was there may have been something in the newspapers about it. I was looking in Ames, Iowa, not St. Louis. I'll check Footnote again tonight. Thanks so much!!

#6: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 pm
    ----
Glad I could help. By the way, you know the fumes of Carbolic Acid are dangerous. The location of his death could be a clue as to whether he did himself in or it was an accident at work.

A notation on the location says "in a pasture west of Ben____ ave. between _____________ and ____________".

Being found in a pasture is not good news. It could be the family story of his death could be true.

lilbees

#7: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: qnana PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 pm
    ----
Cathy -
I believe the town your g grandfather was born in is Conklin, near Binghamton and the Pennsylvania line.

www.townofconklin.org/

Not death info but possibly of interest to you in the future.

Smile qnana

#8: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:40 pm
    ----
Thanks qnana! I am actually back pretty far. My Dewey's are stuck at 1630 or so but some of my maternal lines go back to the 1100's! His death was the mystery. I am curious how the Dewey's of Westfield, Massachusetts ended up in Conklin, NY though so perhaps that site will be a good starting point!

#9: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:52 pm
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Glad I could help. By the way, you know the fumes of Carbolic Acid are dangerous. The location of his death could be a clue as to whether he did himself in or it was an accident at work.

A notation on the location says "in a pasture west of Ben____ ave. between _____________ and ____________".

Being found in a pasture is not good news. It could be the family story of his death could be true.

lilbees
Thanks Lilbees! I missed that note. I think you are right - the story my Mom told me of suicide is probably correct. Mom always said she was told her dad was never the same after he found his dad. We both assumed it took place in their home so this really tells me a lot. I am still surprised that my grandfather had the date so wrong but perhaps he was hiding it intentionally. Mom did not know about the suicide until her Aunt told her so it was probably a secret - back then there would have been a stigma attached to a suicide.

#10: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:13 pm
    ----
My sympathiies to you and yours. Not a good thing to learn.

lilbees

#11: Re: Death of my great grandfather Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:05 pm
    ----
Awww that is so sweet! Thanks! I am keeping this one to myself. Mom does not need to know this.

-> Non-Italian Genealogy