Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 pm
    ----
I know Nuccia already posted about this, but I can't find the post! Maybe it is on your blog. Anyhow, I finally watched the episode yesterday and really enjoyed it. I am so jealous of her access to the latin records and her personal translator. I bet Jim can tell us that it is not that easy!

I also thought that it was fascinating how her son found Anita by searching first name and birthdate. I have a ggf who fell off the face of the earth and never thought of searching ancestry like that. I wonder though how many people named Anita they had to plow through to get the right one.

I am also glad that they researched someone with pretty humble roots as opposed to Brooke Shields. I mean her story was fascinating, but not all of us descend from nobility.

#2: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:06 pm
    ----
I agree Lori, I thought this was a great episode! What I wouldn't give to be able to touch those old books! I also loved the fact that they went to the library in New York, I have spent many an hour at those same tables, and reading those books. One last thing, I noticed that her great grandparents were buried in Calvary Cemetery! I hope she can put a stone for them, they had such a story.

#3: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:59 pm
    ----
Mike, I was thinking of that and all the $$$ that Gina paid for Carmeloni's stone and I was thinking that at least Susan S. can afford all those back charges for perpetual fees!

#4: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 pm
    ----
I also thought the same thing. It was a really good episode - finally! Yes, Lori, I wrote about it on one of my blogs. You can read it here.

gentedimareitaliangenealogy.info/

#5: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:07 pm
    ----
Thanks for the link! I knew I saw it somewhere!

#6: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:30 am
    ----
I know I am a little late here - I had a very busy week! I too thought about Gina and Carmeloni when I saw that part of the episode. I really like the show despite the fact they leave so much out and make it look so fast and simple. I have had people who have seen the show ask me what takes me so much time! Shocked LOL

#7: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:14 pm
    ----
I think the show is a good way to get people interested in genealogy. I think it's misleading in the time and effort that it really takes, but has woken people up to what is out there, and might get quite a few people to check out their own genealogy. Sure, a lot of people will do it for a bit and drop it, but there I am sure some will become addicted just like the rest of us! LOL!

Cathy, that is too funny hahaha, if only they knew how long, and how much more we all have to go!!

#8: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm
    ----
Cathy, I think the show gives people the impression that they will walk into an archive and an expert will hand them a book and open it to the page with all their family history and if it is in another language, that expert will hand them an English translation too. LOL. It also makes you think that ancestry has EVERYTHING!

#9: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:11 pm
    ----
These shows are very interesting and I think it will spur more people to get into Genealogy.......it is, however, very misleading in that people are going to expect that everything will be there waiting for them to just "make a copy of the records and go home".

Even if you can afford the travel expense [I have been rejected "in person" by the Parish Priest in my Dad's birthplace of Corato in Italy at least 4 times in my efforts to go back a few more generations. The Town Hall has been helpful in filling most of my basic requests for docs, but they don't have any records prior to 1809.

They just make it look too easy......I am sure that Ancestry has sold quite a few subscriptions, I'm sure ---- this is like an infomercial....

#10: Re: Susan Sarandon/ "Who do you think you are" series Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm
    ----
This show is just a great big advertisement for ancestry.com

Would you believe, my husband likes it? When it comes on, I leave the room and come in here..but, I can hear it. I think they just did the genealogy of a bunch of stars and we are only seeing the interesting ones or those who actually have historical ancestors. I also think it is very misleading. It takes us a long time, to do this type research, but hey, Ancestry is raking in the coins and thats what its all about.

-> General Discussion Groups