Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Network question
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Network question Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:18 pm
    ----
I need help here! I am buying a new computer because mine is really old (7 yrs.). I want to drop my dial up connection and get DSL. Here is the problem, I want to move my computer to a spot in the house where there is no phone line. I know I need a DSL modem and a wireless router to pull this off, but what else do I need? I am going to configure my own computer and I don't know what kind of networking card or whatever it is called that I need. Help! I am clueless!

#2: Re: Network question Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm
    ----
My cable man set everything up for me. One of my computers is in my back room (in my "office") and there is no phone line so he drilled a small hole through the wall outside and ran the cable to meet the computer. I have a router and have networked the computers (my kids all have one) to this one.

ot sure this answers your question but I hope it helps.

#3: Re: Network question Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:17 pm
    ----
Thanks, Nuccia! I was wondering though, what do your kids have in their computer to make it work on the network? The computer I am looking at says it has a 10/100Base-t network interface. I don't know what that means. I googled it and it looks like it has to do with a wireless connection but I am not sure.

#4: Re: Network question Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:46 pm
    ----
I'm not sure to tell you the truth. I have a cable connected outside to all the computers and a router inside (not wireless and that the extent of my PC set up knowledge.

My advice..bat your eyes and let the cable guy handle it. And if it costs an extra $20 so be it. At least it works,, right?

Seriously though...maybe Bob can answer this question.

#5: Re: Network question Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:59 pm
    ----
Sorry ... I've been a bit distracted.

Your high-speed internet actually comes in two flavors (the installation is generally done by the cable guy) ...
• High-Speed Cable Service or
• High-Speed DSL Service ...

Generally, the cable connection is faster.

Computer ... you need a network card in any computer that will be connecting. Most high-speed providers are putting in modem/router combinations that can handle several computers ... if yours only connects to one computer, then you have a modem and need to purchase (find a good computer person) and install a router for other computers.

The net card will be a 10/100 ethernet connection which indicates that the card can handle either 10 MEG or 100 MEG/ min transfers ... look for a jack that is slightly larger than your phone jack. These can generally be installed at the time of purchase if you are getting a new computer ... but, if not, it is no harder than installing a modem or sound card (advanced legos).

If the company wants to send the material telling you that the installation is easy, ask to pay the fee to get the installation done.

Other questions, please let me know.

-> PC Info and Guides