Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Family medical problems
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Family medical problems Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 am
    ----
Besides benefitting from learning of my ancestors through genealogy research I have now come upon another benefit.

In making contact with various distant family members I am beginning to learn some interesting facts. In my family there is a great deal of heart disease. We are not talking about overweight people or people lacking in exercise. They are usually physically fit. Then one day you wake up and discover you have a problem. Over the years it has been determined by medical authorities who have studied my family over the years have determined that the heart problems are genetic. Through genetic engineering there will some day be some help for this problem but not for me or my childrens generation. But, it is down the road a bit.

When I made contact with other living (first and second cousins) I have learned that the problems that have plagued my family is also within their families. I never thought that I would ever find benefit in my genealogy research other than learning about my ancestors but have now found medical benefits as well.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience in their family research.

lilbees

#2: Re: Family medical problems Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:47 pm
    ----
Actually I did find once I made contact with my husband's Slovakian side of the family that heart disease as well as liver disease was a major concern. On his Italian side there was heart disease as well as vascular disease. We have also concluded many of his problems (and his brother's) are genetic

-> General Discussion Groups