Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with translation
-> Translations

#31: Re: Help with translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:59 pm
    ----
Veramente, Luca. I am unable to decipher the father's name of the deceased on this death document.

img812.imageshack.us/i...mg4973.jpg

This is part of another mystery only this family is related but that is another story.

#32: Re: Help with translation Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:28 am
    ----
Dovrebbe essere: p(adre) ignoto

#33: Re: Help with translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:17 pm
    ----
I thought I recognized the word for unknown but hoped I was mistaken. Part of the mystery I am trying to solve involves Maria Pezzuolo in this death certificate and Nicolo Lo Vecchio from whom she was widowed and another woman Maria Pitti also listed as being married to Nicolo.
The death certificate of Nicolo Lo Vecchio
img295.imageshack.us/i...g4888q.jpg

This marriage certificate extract for Benedetto Lo Vecchio list Maria Pritti as his mother.
img291.imageshack.us/i...g4894r.jpg
And from the same allegati this conflicting document which states that Benedetto's mother was Maria Pezzuolo Rolling Eyes
img708.imageshack.us/i...mg4895.jpg

Nicolo Lo Vecchio died in 1826, Maria Pezzuolo died in 1838, and I have no death document for Maria Pitti. A baptismal document for Benedetto lists his mother only as Maria Lo Vecchio which doesn't resolve which Maria this is. Since Maria Pezzuolo died in 1838 I assume that Maria Pitti is Benedetto's mother. I have encountered this sort of error before with a direct ancestor and was able to resolve it because I had access to all of the birth, marriage and death documents which revealed the error in the extracts provided for the allegati.

#34: Re: Help with translation Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:30 pm
    ----
Per risolvere questo problema dovresti, come hai detto tu, poter controllare tutti gli altri documenti.
E' probabile però che Maria Pitti fosse la prima moglie di Nicolò ed anche la madre di Benedetto mentre Maria Pezzuolo fosse la seconda moglie.
Ma è anche possibile che Maria Pitti e Pezzuolo fossero UNA sola persona e che la sua famiglia fosse conosciuta sia con il vero cognome che con una sorta di soprannome e che fossero usati entrambi a seconda di chi si trovasse a redigere l'atto. Mi è capitato (non dico spesso, ma è successo) di trovare persone che venivano chiamate con cognomi differenti a seconda di chi scriveva (per esempio un notaio o un prete).
Certo che fare ricerche dall'america complica di molto le cose Sad
L.

#35: Re: Help with translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
Well, Luca, I'd love to do my research from Italy but non parlo italianon o siciliano Embarassed And of course being independently wealthy would be nice Very Happy I have been considering a trip to Sicily in a year or so but I believe getting about in Sicily will be a little more difficult than it was when we were in Italy in 1990. I may have found another relative in Sicily from my grandmother's family, she lives in Enna but the family is from Palermo which is consistent with the surname I am researching. I have chatted with her online and exchanged some information by email.

-> Translations