Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Need a Translation for the scribbly birth
-> Translations

#1: Need a Translation for the scribbly birth Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:18 am
    ----
This is the birth act for Grazia Cataldo born July 1830. Can someone give the names of the parents and witnesses?

Thank you
lilbees

#2: Re: Need a Translation for the scribbly birth Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:08 pm
    ----
Father Domenico, mother, Raffaela di maio. Witnesses, Don Saverio di Rosa and Giuseppe Scan?a Clerico.
Witnesses are usually just people who hung around the City Hall to witness these acts. They could usually read and write and therefore sign their names. DOmenico was illiterate. I am sure they received some compensation for their trouble.

#3: Re: Need a Translation for the scribbly birth Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:27 pm
    ----
Boy, those di Maio's get around a bit. I noticed in the indexes I have been going through there were a ton. Speaking of indexes and records, I will admit that some church fathers were a bit tight to say the least. A book of marriages I have been going through show any skipped pages filled in with a record, and certainly out of order. It went like that though all 763 records. Just buzzing along and bam! there would be record no. 20 then back to 410. It was crazy but, I got through it.

lilbees

-> Translations