Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Buying recommendations for new computer?
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 am
    ----
I am looking for a new computer to use the internet, some word processing, family tree maker, etc... no video games or music downloading that I can foresee. Does anyone have recommendations for the type of processor, HD size and memory I should be looking for. Also DVD writeable vs. CD/DVD?

Thanks!

#2: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 pm
    ----
Poipu,
It doesn't sound like you need anything too powerful. But I still would not get anything less that 1 gig of RAM - 2 gigs would be better because it is generally cheaper to buy it loaded as oppossed to upgrading later.
Your computer will load faster and you can have more applications up. I don't know if you have a digital camera or scan a lot of pictures or documents so I'm not sure what to tell you about hard drive storage. Will you be burning or viewing DVD's? If not no need for a DVDRW drive but mine came with it and was cheaper than one without it. I think all computers come standard with cdr drives. I like my Gateway laptop.

#3: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:56 pm
    ----
Thanks, Cathy. I just ordered it! It will have 2 gigs of ram per your advice, dual core processor, and a combo DVD/CD writable drive. I got a 160 gig hard drive. I don't think I will be downloading movies (DH is a copyright lawyer, LOL).

#4: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:00 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
Thanks, Cathy. I just ordered it! It will have 2 gigs of ram per your advice, dual core processor, and a combo DVD/CD writable drive. I got a 160 gig hard drive. I don't think I will be downloading movies (DH is a copyright lawyer, LOL).

Sorry, I got here late, but it sounds like you did OK ... any other detail questions, please let me know.

#5: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:47 am
    ----
Thanks, Bob! I will let you know. I feel like a stranger in a strange land when it comes to technology. LOL.

#6: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: Olivee PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 am
    ----
Which laptop is the best and why?
In my view Samsung & Toshiba are the finest high skill laptops brands. Additional remembering things are that while purchasing a laptop CPU speed, heaviness, battery support and main thing the cost against performance. What is your opinion about laptops? Share your views. Thanks!!
Network Accessories

Last edited by Olivee on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total

#7: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:32 am
    ----
I switched to Apple about 8 years ago and have not looked back. There is a bit of a price differential but when comparing comparable devices realistically the difference in price is not as great as it first seems. Windows OS has improved dramatically over earlier versions; however, as I have worked on Unix OS in the past I now prefer Apple's OS to Windows. For genealogy I use two programs: Reunion 10 and iFamilyForLeopard with Reunion 10 being my primary genealogy program. Apple's new computers feature retina display which will soon be common on PC's for those who wish to allow for the extra cost.

In the end, the selection of hardware lies with each individual's preferences, financial requirements, and in some instances the software already owned; although, even existing Windows users may find their old software incompatible with the Windows 7 or the upcoming Windows 8.

I use an iMac and a MacBook Pro as well as an iPhone. Until recently I used VMWare Fusion to run Windows in a virtual machine on my Mac and only persisted in that until I could find a Mac program to replace Quicken so I no longer use Windows in any capacity. I realize that I am in a distinct minority here but I thought I'd indicate that there are choices other than Windows.

#8: Re: Buying recommendations for new computer? Author: princecharming PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:46 am
    ----
I think it much more better if you going to purchase a laptop because now the days desktops are not reliable.

-> PC Info and Guides