Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Apple Pie
-> Recipes

#1: Apple Pie Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 am
    ----
Ok everyone - I have been on a baking spree lately and I am really trying to find the recipe for the perfect apple pie. More importantly, I find I have the most difficulty with making the crust - which I want to make from scratch. Any suggestions or good recipes out there?

#2: Re: Apple Pie Author: martyadelfio PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:09 pm
    ----
This recipe is not mine but is from American Test Kitchen and it is great the mix of apples makes a great pie
For the crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water

For the pie
2 pounds (4 to 6) Mclntosh apples , peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 pounds (3 to 4) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 recipe Double-Crust Pie Dough, bottom crust fit into pie plate
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Want it? Click it.

Directions
Make the crust
1. Process the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Scatter the shortening over the top and process until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds. Scatter the butter pieces over the top and, using short pulses, process the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. Transfer to a bowl.

2. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture. Stir and press the dough together, using a stiff rubber spatula until the dough sticks together. If the dough does not come together, stir in the remaining water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it does.

3. Divide the dough into two even pieces and flatten each into a 4-inch disk. Wrap the disks tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Let the chilled dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling it out and fitting the bottom crust into a pie plate.

To make ahead: The dough can be refrigerated, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Let the frozen dough thaw on the countertop until malleable before rolling.

Make the pie
1. Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position, place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 500°F (260°C). Toss the apples with cup of the sugar, the flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and spices, and set aside.

2. Roll out the top crust to a 12-inch circle. Spread the apples in the unbaked pie crust bottom, mounding them slightly in the middle. Loosely roll the top crust around the rolling pin, then gently unroll it over the apples. Trim all but 1/2-inch of the dough overhanging the edge of the pie plate with scissors. Seal the edge by pressing the top and bottom crusts together, then tuck the edges underneath. Crimp the edges, and cut four vent holes in the top. Brush the crust with the egg white and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.

3. Place the pie on the heated baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 425°F (220°C). Bake until the top crust is golden, about 25 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet, reduce the oven temperature again to 375°F (190°C), and continue to bake until the juices are bubbling and the crust is deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes longer. Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before serving.

To make ahead: The pie can be stored at room temperature, wrapped tightly in aluminum foil, for up to 2 days
From American Test Kitchen
Marty

#3: Re: Apple Pie Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 am
    ----
I was going to bake an apple pie yesterday but didn't have time. Always looking for a good recipe though and this looks good. Have you tried this then?

#4: Re: Apple Pie Author: martyadelfio PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am
    ----
Yes I have numerous I have its great I have changed it up a little sub the Mclntosh apples for golden delious apples great pie

Marty

#5: Re: Apple Pie Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:36 pm
    ----
Thanks - I prefer the Golden Delicious Apples anyway so that's what I was going to use.

-> Recipes