Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Happy Holidays!
-> General Discussion Groups

#16: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:08 pm
    ----
Guess most of us are having the same bother with the weather lately.
Just now one thing I do first thing every morning is to fill a flask with boiling water just in case we get the electricity switched off. Apart from the gas central heating all my other appliances are electric so if there was a power cut at least I'd get a cup of hot coffee Very Happy
Hope things get better for you all soon.
Emmy

#17: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 pm
    ----
I had a lot of light blinking, last night..but they never went out. I am really shocked, because a few weeks ago we had a wind storm and a tree fell on the power lines up the road and we were out for 5 hours. Several times, last night, I turned on the floodlight outside to watch the snow. You couldnt tell what was falling from the sky and what was blowing around like mad. There are all trees here. I was worried something might fall on the house. My roof was making sounds..scary. I had to drink some wine to fall asleep at 3am. Its still windy, but not those blizzard type winds.

#18: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:12 am
    ----

We had a foot of snow in suburban Philadelphia ----- the Southern NJ shore had 18" ----- no problems here with power.....

It was a day too late for Christmas; my cousins in Italy and France were all dealing with bad weather too.

I thought I had put a stop to the bad weather when I "ponied up" for a new snow blower last February after our brutal winter, but I was happy to have it today to clean a very long driveway and large parking area ----- It still took over 2 hours, the wind was whipping around (not good when the snow is blowing out of the shoot) and the "wind chill" temperature was 7 degrees....well, warmer weather is coming soon.

#19: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 am
    ----
Wow - you all got hit really bad. We had the strong winds and that's about it. No snow, no rain - nothing. I think at one point the sun did shine a bit too.. I bought a snow blower a couple of years ago and have used it only once - and it broke. I had it in for repairs which took two months and by that time the winter was over. Since then we have not had to use it so I don't even know if it works.

We are expecting nice weather by the week's end - above freezing and perhaps some rain. So far not much of a winter here. Of course I will be going back to work next week and I'm sure it will hit then!

#20: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 pm
    ----
Geeze..I thought Canada had worse weather than we have. I am happy you didnt get all of this snow. I would really like to get a generator, before it snows again. I just threw out all of my pots of water this morning. I hung on to them all day yesterday, just in case.

#21: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:26 pm
    ----
Some parts of Canada DO get hit very bad - Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland..even Montreal gets it pretty bad. What people don't realize is that Toronto RARELY gets the horrible weather that everyone hears about (although the suburbs around it often do). We aren't in a snow belt and I'm right in the city. 20 minutes from here can be a real mess though. We had two bad winters- both the winters that Simy visited from Italy. Jan and Feb do get quite cold though otherwise it's not that bad.

God I love Toronto..lol

#22: Re: Happy Holidays! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:46 pm
    ----
Snowblower sounds a good Idea but I think I'll go for a snowMAN to do the work Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Think the job would have a bettter finish I'd probably have the snow blowing back to where it was in the first place if it was left to me.

A bit of a thaw on here just now just hope it continues.
Emmy

-> General Discussion Groups