Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Birth certificate for dual citizenship
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Birth certificate for dual citizenship Author: Max. PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:05 pm
    ----
Hi everybody!
I'm new in the forum, so let me introduce myself. I'm Max, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. The reason I'm here, is because I want to apply for the dual citizenship.

My great grandfather was italian, his name was Francesco Risafi. He was from Cosenza, Italy, and was born aproximately between 1881-1885. I found some information about him in internet, but I'm not sure if this is 100% certain, so I want to search a little more (phone calls to my family, etc...). Then Francesco came to Argentina, and got married in 1909 (Argentina).

Anyway, if you can help me, I would be very glad. I need info to ask for the birth certificate, and this is another thing I'd like to ask, where exactly do I have to ask for it?? And which kind of information do I need to send to prove that he is my great grandfather?

Thank you very much, sorry but this is driving me a little bit crazy, and I want the citizenship so much!! I'm sorry if I ask too much.

Thanks!

PS: sorry about my english, is not very good...

#2: Re: Birth certificate for dual citizenship Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:04 pm
    ----
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you want dual citizenship they will require birth acts with official town seals. You will need to obtain this from your grandfather's town. Cosenza is a city and a province. Are you absolutely sure your grandfather came from the city of Cosenza and not another town within the province? If you are certain he came from the city of Cosenza, you can write the officials at the local stato civile office for a copy of his birth act. You should be specific in your request so they know you need it for dual citizenship and attach the proper seals.
The official comune (city) page is HERE. There are email addresses there for the comune. If he was from a town within Cosenza Province you need the name of the town before proceeding.

#3: Re: Birth certificate for dual citizenship Author: Max. PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm
    ----
Thank you very much Cathy!

I think my great grandfather was born in Corigliano Calabro, Cosenza. I really didn't know that Cosenza was a city AND a province, so thanks for the info!

I'll try to find out a little bit more about him. In case he was born in Corigliano Calabro, I have to email that comune to ask for his birth certificate, right?
Another question, how do they know (in Corigliano Calabro) that I'm his great grandson? Do you know what kind of information do they need to prove I'm family?

Thank you!!!!

#4: Re: Birth certificate for dual citizenship Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:16 pm
    ----
Riccardo is the expert on that but there are a few websites that may help you. You will be required to furnish full proof through documents to obtain dual citizenship if you qualify. Look at the website below:
Dual Citizenship

And yes, you need to obtain the record from the comune (town) of his birth. They need no proof you are his descendant.

#5: Re: Birth certificate for dual citizenship Author: Max. PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:32 pm
    ----
Thanks again, Cathy!

One more question, if I apply for the dual citizenship through my great grandfather, do I need my great grandmother's birth certificate?

-> Where do I begin?