Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Adopted--Same Name
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Adopted--Same Name Author: mler PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:51 am
    ----
Through a family tree website (geni), I found a lot of my paternal family in Italy. Through them, I have a photo of my greatgrandfather and some information about him.

Apparently, he was born in Firenze and was sent to Napoli to be raised by another family. But they tell me that his surname was not changed. I'm thinking that he was born out of wedlock and sent away to avoid embarrassment to the family. In such a situation, would his birth have been registered in Firenze? I'm thinking, yes, but I'm at a loss as to where to begin. Any ideas?

Another interesting anomaly: My great grandmother's name was listed on my grandfather's birth certificate as Eleanora, but my Italian family insists that her name was Cleonice and has her listed on the tree under that name. The surname of Cleonice and Eleanora are identical. My gf was the eldest in the family and only he and his younger brother emigrated to the US. My Italian family are the descendents of my gf's younger siblings, and I wonder if this was a second marriage; but the same surname confuses me.

#2: Re: Adopted--Same Name Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am
    ----
Perhaps she went by her middle name or a sopranome? My grandfather was always known as Bruno - in fact, all the grandsons who were named after him were named Bruno but his real name was Francesco. No where on his birth certificate does it even say Bruno. Nonno's grandfather, Giuseppe had the same thing. His real name was Domenico - but on his children's birth records it listed him as Giuseppe. I finally obtained his death certificate and it says "Andriano, Domenico 'detto' Giuseppe"
www.angilletta.info/Ar...driano.jpg

I would try writing to the Comune in Firenze for the birth act and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. Have you his death act? You may also want to get that and the marriage act first just to see what's listed on them. It may actually list the place of birth and should list the parents names.

#3: Re: Adopted--Same Name Author: mler PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm
    ----
Thank you so much. I do know the year of his death, so that may be the place to start.

The name thing is interesting. My Italian relatives list her name as Cleonice (Amalie), and they have never heard of Eleanora. But my oldest aunt was named Amelia, so that may signal that we're talking about the same person. I suppose it's also possible that her given name was registered incorrectly by the midwife.

#4: Re: Adopted--Same Name Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm
    ----
mler wrote:
I suppose it's also possible that her given name was registered incorrectly by the midwife.

This is definitely possible. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened!

-> General Discussion Groups