Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates Author: 4debLocation: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 pm
    ----
I have been using the excellent records free from the Archivio Di Stato Di Cosenza.

An enlistment certificate gives the following example information-Name enlisted on 23/07/1903born on 22/12/1883 to Bianchi son/daughter of father's full name and mother's first name and her maiden name.

A birth certificate gives the following example information-gives city, name of child, bornon, son/daughter of father's full name and mother's first name and her maiden name.
Why are there two forms? What is the difference?

Exploring the Paone family from Gagliano and the Futino and Pascuzzi families from Bianch-Pedivigliano area

#2: Re: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:20 am
    ----
When you say "enlistment" do you refer to "Lista di leva"? The "lista di leva per l'anno XXXX" is the equivalent of the draft registration card and contains the list of all the males residing in the town and that will be 18 yo in the Year XXXX.
Birth certificate is a document that prove that a certain person was born on mm/dd/yyyy in a specific town.

#3: Re: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 am
    ----
The enlistment certificate is actually a military draft registration card which was issued for all males who turn of age to serve. This doesn't mean they actually did serve but were registered.

The birth information is the actual birth act that was issued when the child was registered at the Town Hall (Comune). All children were registered after 1865. If you can't find their birth act it means they were more than likely registered at baptism with the Church.

Does this help?

#4: Re: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates Author: 4debLocation: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:37 am
    ----
Thanks for the important information. If there is a birth certificate for a relative but no enlistment certificate could that mean they left the country before they were 18?

Still new at this and your answers are appreciated.

From Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Researching Paone family from Gagliano and the Futino and Pascuzzi families from the Pedivigliano-Bianchi area

#5: Re: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm
    ----
Sorry Livio - I didn't see you had already replied! We are all just learning so no need to worry. We are here to help each other. I think all males were registered regardless of whether or not they were in the country when they came of age. Is this right Livio? But it's not always easy to find the records on the Archives because they are still updating. They've come a long way in a short while so keep checking and also checked for mis spelled surnames. BTW - I had family from Pedivigliano - surname Cardamone.

#6: Re: Difference Between "Enlistment" and "Birth" Certificates Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:31 am
    ----
The lista di leva contains the names of the male residing in the town.

-> Where do I begin?