Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Italian Privacy Laws
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Italian Privacy Laws Author: pettyson2 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:06 pm
    ----
I have contacted a professional genealogist in Italy to trace my family. He recently sent me a letter advising that due to privacy laws in Italy, I would need to fill out some paper work he sent stating that I am indeed the granddaughter of the people I am trying to find out about and I need to provide some form of identification such as copy of passport, a drivers license or ss#. Can anyone tell me if Italian law requires such identification in order for a professional genealogist to obtain information regarding deceased ancestors? Thank you.

#2: Re: Italian Privacy Laws Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 pm
    ----
Hi pettyson and Welcome to Gente. Also, congrats as you are our 1000th member!

As for your question, YES, you need to provide some ID and sign a letter that the genealogist is acting on your behalf. I have had to do this when Riccardo (member Ricbru) has acted on my behalf. If this is a professional genealogist that you have hired then you have nothing to worry about. They are VERY careful with your ID as are the people in the Comuni in Italy. I have never had any problems.

I hope this helps. Smile

#3: Re: Italian Privacy Laws Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:52 pm
    ----
I concur with Nuccia. I have had to send a copy of my driver's license when asking for information from various towns in Italy. I would just provide your genealogist with a license or a passport because your ss# is like the keys to the kingdom in the world of i.d. theft. Wink

#4: Re: Italian Privacy Laws Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
I would just provide your genealogist with a license or a passport because your ss# is like the keys to the kingdom in the world of i.d. theft. Wink

Good point. I have always just used my Driver's License.

-> General Discussion Groups