Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: VENTURA surname
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: VENTURA surname Author: Alloro810 PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:08 pm
    ----
Does anyone know of the origins of the VENTURA surname in Calabria? I found this family name a while back, and it has opened up a never-ending trail of research. Some places say the name is Italian, others Spanish, and still others say, well, it's both. I am curious about it because I know the Spanish had a major presence in Southern Italy, and also because during another avenue of research, it turned out that another family name I found is actually Greek in origin. I have read about the VENTURA name and its history in Malta, but my family is not from there, at least as far as I know. I would be interested in knowing if anyone knows the general background of the VENTURA family name in Calabria. Is the name Spanish or Italian?

#2: Re: VENTURA surname Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm
    ----
I have a Ventura line from Briatico, Calabria, and Pizzo, Calabria. I don't know much of the origins beyond that but would be interested in where your Ventura line is from.

#3: Re: VENTURA surname Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 am
    ----
I finally know where Pontiac got that name!!! Thanks.

#4: Re: VENTURA surname Author: Alloro810 PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am
    ----
My VENTURA line comes from Calabria. My great-grandfather Francesco PATAFIO was from Reggio Calabria (according to his naturalization papers). His mother was Lucia VENTURA.

#5: Re: VENTURA surname Author: jack182183 PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:24 pm
    ----
Ventura means good luck in Italian. The surname itself comes from the first name of "Bonaventura" which has old french origins. It was given as a nickname to someone who enjoyed their good life or good fortune.

#6: Re: VENTURA surname Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:15 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info., Jack! It seems like it is a fairly common name.

#7: Re: VENTURA surname Author: Alloro810 PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:12 am
    ----
jack182183 wrote:
Ventura means good luck in Italian. The surname itself comes from the first name of "Bonaventura" which has old french origins. It was given as a nickname to someone who enjoyed their good life or good fortune.

Could you tell us where you were able to find that information that the name has old French origins? I only came across one of those family crest sites that mentioned it may have a French origin, but in the same description, it also said it had an Italian, Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese origin.

#8: Re: VENTURA surname Author: jack182183 PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:30 pm
    ----
Sorry, I need to clarify: the word Bonaventura itself has old french language origins (which in itself has Latin origins) and not the surname.

The origin of the surname is impossible to track down, especially because it derived from a nickname. All of the words for luck/fortune originally came from Latin. Which is why people are saying Ventura is Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, etc. These are all languages derived from Latin. And because the surname comes from a nickname, the surname developed out of each of those languages.

I think Ventura in its oldest Latin form means for the future or the idea of things to come. Bona originally originally came from Latin for "goods" or "material" which over time took on the meaning of personal property.

Source: Knowledge of linguistics

#9: Re: VENTURA surname Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 am
    ----
I agree about the Latin origin, I don't understand the French one...

#10: Re: VENTURA surname Author: jack182183 PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:35 am
    ----
Some sites state that because it's Bon and not Buon, it has old French origin. Bonjour, bonaparte, bonsoir etc. I think the first time Bonaventura was used officially, it was for an Italian/French man. Buonaventura is the traditional Italian form. I do think it's hard to even trace the origin of the word, so the word COULD have a french origin.

Regardless of where it first originated, I think it's safe to say it's all originally from Latin and there's no way of tracing it down.

-> General Discussion Groups