Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Hello! New here and I don't know where/how to start!
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Hello! New here and I don't know where/how to start! Author: kristan35 PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am
    ----
Hello!

I've always been interested in finding out some information on my Italian side of the family.

I don't know very much at all. My maiden name is Carollo. The only information I have is that we are Sicilian, my (paternal) grandfather (Luis Carollo) was born around 1916 and came over here as a young child. His father's name was Sebastiano Carollo.

If there is anybody out there who can help me with even the smallest bit of info, I'd be very appreciative!

Thank you!

#2: Re: Hello! New here and I don't know where/how to start! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 pm
    ----
Could you give a little more info? Did your great grandfather emigrate also? In what state did the family live? Was Luis really Luigi and was his occupation here possibly with a merchant vessel? Other family members names? Ancestry lists a number of possibilities so it would be helpful to have more information.

#3: Re: Hello! New here and I don't know where/how to start! Author: kristan35 PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:00 am
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
Could you give a little more info? Did your great grandfather emigrate also? In what state did the family live? Was Luis really Luigi and was his occupation here possibly with a merchant vessel? Other family members names? Ancestry lists a number of possibilities so it would be helpful to have more information.

Yes, they both emigrated to NYC. I never heard the name Luigi but I couldn't tell you if that isn't a possiblity. I do remember a picture of my grandfather (Luis) in a sailor uniform so it is possible he was a part of some kind of boat situation. lol

I can tell you that my grandfather married Jeanette McCabe (deceased) and his children are Luis Jr (deceased)., Richard, Antoinette (deceased at 10) and Gerard (my father).

thank you so much!

#4: Re: Hello! New here and I don't know where/how to start! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm
    ----
I think this 1930 Census may help.

imageshack.us/photo/my...ollo1.jpg/

The census indicates that Luis was born in New York; his enlistment info also says he was born in New York.

Here is a WWI Draft Registration Card for Sebastiano.
imageshack.us/photo/my...onseb.jpg/

Here is the Passenger List for Sebastiano I believe.

imageshack.us/photo/my...carol.jpg/

Hope this helps.

-> Where do I begin?