Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: ?meaning of word?
-> Translations

#1: ?meaning of word? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 pm
    ----
In the book I was given about Acquafondata it gives lists of names of people in the commune. I think these lists means that those listed had something to do with the management of the commune.
One title was Sindaco which I think is equivalent to 'Mayor'
The next list was given the heading 'Decurioni' when I looked up the meaning of that word it said' settlers'?? which is confusing me.
The 3rd list was lablelled, 'Cancelliere' I'd be very grateful for any help with this -I'm sure my GGGrandfather's name is included on one of those lists.
Emmy

#2: Re: ?meaning of word? Author: choprjohnLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 pm
    ----
Hi Emmy, my Italian isnt that good but im thinking sindaco= I criticize.....decurioni= a senator or calvary officer..... cancelliere= chancellor. Hope that helps.....Johnnie

#3: Re: ?meaning of word? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 am
    ----
Thanks Choprjohn
but it defiantely has something to do with the organisation and the everyday running of the commune iwas jsut intgerested to know what each job was.
Sindacto re 'meaning critize' could in a roundabout way may be linked to the more modern title mayor or Accountant/Lawyer to the job they had to do. Dont think there's any chance of it meaning cavalry officer.
But many thanks for answering the question if I do find out what it means I'll let you know
Emmy Smile

#4: Re: ?meaning of word? Author: choprjohnLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 am
    ----
Decurion is a word with several meanings, but in your case this might be what you are looking for..... Decurion....member of the city senate, mostly made up of wealthy middle class citizens of a town society. They were responsible for public contracts, religeous rites & entertainment. They also supervised tax collection

#5: Re: ?meaning of word? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 pm
    ----
I always understood sindaco to be mayor. That's what they still call them in the comuni today (or at least there is someone on my ancestral commune's web page who is the sindaco!). Not sure about the other two.

#6: Re: ?meaning of word? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:14 pm
    ----
Many thanks to both of you for your replies.
I did think that sindaco was either the Mayor or the President/Chairperson who opened a meeting and I think the following quote is the correct meaning
Quote::
Decurion is a word with several meanings, but in your case this might be what you are looking for..... Decurion....member of the city senate, mostly made up of wealthy middle class citizens of a town society. They were responsible for public contracts, religeous rites & entertainment. They also supervised tax collection

It does cause problems when you isolate a word and look it up in a dictionary guess it does need to be in context with the whole document.
Many many thanks for your help.
Now I'm hoping there will be some personal information kept somewhere about those people who 'sat on the board' all those years ago.
Hope the old saying is true that 'when a door closes a window opens. Very Happy '

Emmy Very Happy Very Happy

-> Translations