Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with a name please.
-> Translations

#1: Help with a name please. Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:22 pm
    ----
Hey everyone,

Would you guys be able to take a look at this marriage act and tell me what you think the groom's father's name is? I just can't make it out for sure.

Thanks!

Mike Very Happy

img28.imageshack.us/im...an0615.jpg

#2: Re: Help with a name please. Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 pm
    ----
Starts with a G and ends with me... but that's as far as I can see.

#3: Re: Help with a name please. Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 am
    ----
That's all I can make out too...it isn't a name I am used to seeing. I got a marriage certificate from a comune that I forgot I sent for in May, and this was it. That mystery name is my 5th great grandfather, and I can't wait to see what the name ends up being!

#4: Re: Help with a name please. Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:28 am
    ----
Could be Giacomo! but what I do not understand is the preceding word.
Could you post the entire certificate? Maybe having additional words to compare could help.

#5: Re: Help with a name please. Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:34 am
    ----
Mike,

As to the name "Giacomo", I can't say for sure. My take is that the word before "Giacomo" is the short form for "Mastro".

Further down it states that the brides father was a shoemaker and the same word precedes his name. "Giacomo" probably also had a specific profession and therefore merited "mastro" before his name.

Mary

#6: Re: Help with a name please. Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:33 pm
    ----
I also thought it could be Giacomo but Mary I never thought about Mastro - good eye!

#7: Re: Help with a name please. Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 am
    ----
Thanks Mary!

#8: Re: Help with a name please. Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 am
    ----
Thanks for your eyes everyone! I figured it would be Mastro too, the people in my towns didn't like to write it neatly. I will post the whole certificate tomorrow, but I agree it might be Giacomo, I'm going to have to order the films and see what happens.

Thanks Again! Smile

-> Translations