Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Tolve
-> About Us

#1: Tolve Author: skays PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 pm
    ----
I am searching for information on Great-Great grandparents, Arcangilio Tolve and her parents Gerardo Tolve and Angelina (Angela) Leopoldi (Leopardo). It is said Gerardo Tolve was from Potenza, Italy, but any surname search for Tolve in Potenza turns up nothing. Even a basic search for Tolve turns up nothing.
Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. If I knew what part of Italy is common for Tolve, that would be a start.

Thank You,

skays

#2: Re: Tolve Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:31 pm
    ----
Tolve is a town and a comune in the province of Potenza..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolve
Do you know when Arcangelo was more (more or less)? Did he travel to the US at all? What documents for him do you have this far and can you post any of them for us to see?

#3: Re: Tolve Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:23 pm
    ----
Tolve's from Potenza ship manifests found via Steve Morse's site:

www.jewishgen.org/data...ECTION=asc

Tolve's from Potenza in Italian White Pages:

www.paginebianche.it/r...a+%28PZ%29

From Ancestry--no image available
Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900
about Arcangiolo Tolve
Name: Carmine Atello (Aiello)
Spouse: Arcangiolo Tolve
Marriage Date: 26 Apr 1896
County: Arapahoe
State: CO

Other possibilities for surname Leopoldi or Leopardo are Leopaldi and Leopardi.

Biff

#4: Re: Tolve Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 pm
    ----
Carmine Aiello's Naturalization Papers state wife born in New York, NY not in Italy.

img192.imageshack.us/i...llonat.jpg

1930 Aiello family Colorado census. Year of marriage about 1896 based on ages at first marriage. Wife Maggie born about 1883 in New York based on age. Means her parents emigrated about 1883 or before.

img526.imageshack.us/i...lo1930.jpg

Biff

#5: Re: Tolve Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:53 pm
    ----
Interesting 1900 Colorado census for Gerordo (sic) and Angela Tolva (sic).

img32.imageshack.us/im...va1900.jpg

Angela states 17 children born, 3 living--the three sons in the current household or are there others still living and the census info is incorrect.

skays, could this be your ggg grandparents?

Biff

#6: Re: Tolve Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:47 pm
    ----
Related posts from Edmondo's site

www.italiangenealogy.c...ilit=tolve

www.italiangenealogy.c...24129.html

Biff

#7: Re: Tolve Author: skays PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:27 pm
    ----
nuccia wrote:

Do you know when Arcangelo was more (more or less)? Did he travel to the US at all? What documents for him do you have this far and can you post any of them for us to see?

That explains why I get no results for the surname 'Tolve' when using 'Potenza, Italy'? That is interesting.

Arcangilio Tolve is the daughter of Gerardo Tolve and Angelina Leopoldi/Leopaldi/Leopardo/Leopardi. Arcangilio was born in the US (New York), on 8 Nov 1881. Her parents immigrated to the US, but do not know when. They eventually did move to Colorado and one census shows a Gerardo and Angela Tolva..believe one in the same. No other information on them though.
Thank you...and glad to see your computer is up and running again.
skays

#8: Re: Tolve Author: skays PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 pm
    ----
Biff83 wrote:
Tolve's from Potenza ship manifests found via Steve Morse's site:

www.jewishgen.org/data...ECTION=asc

Tolve's from Potenza in Italian White Pages:

www.paginebianche.it/r...a+%28PZ%29

From Ancestry--no image available
Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900
about Arcangiolo Tolve
Name: Carmine Atello (Aiello)
Spouse: Arcangiolo Tolve
Marriage Date: 26 Apr 1896
County: Arapahoe
State: CO

Other possibilities for surname Leopoldi or Leopardo are Leopaldi and Leopardi.

Biff

Thank you. But Arcangilio Tolve was born in New York on 8 Nov 1881, so looking at passenger manifests, arrivals after that for Tolve's don't fit. And she married Carmine Aiello and they lived in Denver...which is correct. Arcangilio's parents is the mystery I am trying to solve.
Thank You,
skays

#9: Re: Tolve Author: skays PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:35 pm
    ----
nuccia wrote:

Arcangilio Tolve is the daughter of Gerardo Tolve and Angelina Leopoldi/Leopaldi/Leopardo/Leopardi. Arcangilio was born in the US (New York), on 8 Nov 1881. Her parents immigrated to the US from Potenza, but do not know when. They eventually did move to Colorado and one census shows a Gerardo and Angela Tolva..believe one in the same. No other information on them though.
Email below from another person shows that there is a town in Potenza named Tolve. That could explain why I don't get any hits for Tolve when using the town 'Potenza'. Will try that.
And glad to see your computer is running again. Hope it wasn't anything too expensive.
Again, thank you for your wealth of knowledge...and time. You are very gracious.
skays

#10: Re: Tolve Author: skays PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:47 pm
    ----
Biff83 wrote:
Carmine Aiello's Naturalization Papers state wife born in New York, NY not in Italy.

img192.imageshack.us/i...llonat.jpg

1930 Aiello family Colorado census. Year of marriage about 1896 based on ages at first marriage. Wife Maggie born about 1883 in New York based on age. Means her parents emigrated about 1883 or before.

img526.imageshack.us/i...lo1930.jpg

Biff

That is correct. Arcangilio (Maggie) Tolve was born 8 Nov 1881 in New York. Her parents, Gerardo Tolve and Angelina Leopoldi/Leopardo were born in Italy. Estimated birth year for Gerardo is 1846.

#11: Re: Tolve Author: skays PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 pm
    ----
I have been doing more searching and analysis on Denver, Arapahoe County, Colorado, 1900 and 1920 Census, the only two census documents that I can find that reference Gerardo or Angelina Tolve.

In the 1900 census, both Gerardo and Angelina are still alive and it shows their immigration date from Italy (Assume Potenza) was in 1881. In the 1920 census, Angelina is 78 years old, a widow, and living with her son Rocca, also born in Italy in 1867. She lists her immigration date as 1888, but this is in error as their daughter was born in 1881 in New York.

So what I have on Gerardo Tolve and Angelina (Leopoldi or Leopardo)Tolve:

Gerardo:
Born: abt 1846. Potenza, Italy
Immigrated to USA in 1881
Married Angelina Leopoldi/Leopardo abt 1868
Death: unknown

Angelina:
Born: abt 1842
Immigrated to USA in 1881
Married Gerardo Tolve abt 1868
Son: Rocca, born abt 1867
Death: unknown

Again, looking for more information on them and their parents.

Thanks - Stan

-> About Us