Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: PBS Genealogy show
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: PBS Genealogy show Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm
    ----
This is a really interesting story about the comedian Wanda Skykes from the PBS genealogy show:

www.nytimes.com/2012/0...es-jr.html

#2: Re: PBS Genealogy show Author: autumndivonaLocation: Plattsmouth, Nebraska PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 am
    ----
What a cool article, and a fascinating family history for her. It's details like the "39 lashes" that really bring our ancestors to life. Thank you for sharing it.

#3: Re: PBS Genealogy show Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 am
    ----
Great article! Thanks for sharing it. Smile

#4: Re: PBS Genealogy show Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm
    ----
I am excited about this show! Looks great! The 39 lashes was more common than you would think in Colonial New England. My New England colonials had been put in stocks in the town square, jailed for cursing (6 months in jail!!) and received lashes for wearing silk. WEARING SILK! lol Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: PBS Genealogy show Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm
    ----
Wow, Cathy! For wearing silk??? I am assuming that was too showy in the days of the Puritans?

#6: Re: PBS Genealogy show Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm
    ----
Actually, it was for dressing beyond their station in life. Only the wealthiest people were allowed to wear silk and no one was allowed to wear silk on Sunday. Those wacky Puritans! LOL

-> General Discussion Groups