Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Gullo
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Gullo Author: RecordDelverLocation: Springfield, Oregon, United States of America PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:04 pm
    ----
Greetings. My name is Kris. I am researching the background of the surname, Gullo. I have come across a couple of things. I have read in a book on Italian surnames, that it is Calabres in orgin, for goat, kid, or having ties to a word in Greek origin, that meant stubborn, or shameless. If anyone has some information on this, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Kris

#2: Re: Gullo Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 am
    ----
Hi Kris - I believe most Gullo's came from Sicily although there is a small reference to the surname in Catanzaro [at least during 1899-1924]. Gallo is more common in Calabria - but I could be wrong. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say..

#3: Re: Gullo Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 am
    ----
The surname Gullo did not turn up on my favorite site
Gens - Italian names etc

[Sigh] Just checked surnames at Gens and the map shows many Gullo families, especially around Palermo (should ask Maria about that area):

Gens - Gullo Surname map

Here's a Palermo marriage Index:
Palermo Marriage Index - rootsweb

I did have a Palermo Birth Index but it is no longer found.

Another had many for the map section:
Italian Family Names

Check out the Fake Italian Names and of course, baby names.

Usually I find good info at Italy World Club but their G list only went as far as Gr...
Italy World Club Genealogy
They do have many communes and frazioni with lists of surnames in those places.

Have to check some other places later. (Did check and edited)

Lots by Google search including this one:

Gullo Surname History

Dave

-> General Discussion Groups