Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 am
    ----

My old laptop has begun to show a few signs that it might be going bad (a couple of screen blackouts so far) so I jumped at the great deal that Staples offered on a new Toshiba model a few weeks ago. Being a new model it came with WINDOWS 8 installed. So far I am not a fan of the new OS as I think it is much better suited to run on a tablet. The start menu is gone and there are tiles to launch the apps. I have done some research (which I should have done before my purchase) about user experience and there seems to be a lot of similiar sentiment. There are also a few 3rd part apps which apparently mimic some of the Windows7 functionality (including the Start Menu); not sure if they are worthwhile but I plan to explore them further. Given time, I guess I will get used to it, but I would suggest that anyone planning on buying a new PC with WINDOWS8 should try it out first (I bought my PC online, sight unseen).

#2: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07 pm
    ----
I upgraded my Win 7 PC to Win 8. I wish I hadn't. It may work well on touch screen systems but my old fashion Plain-Old-PC with a Plain-Old-Keyboard just doesn't seem to take advantage of it's so called state-of-the-art App control. The only Win 8 app I use is "Desktop" which simply puts me back into a Win 7 mode. Now I'm finding out that the new JAVA updates won't work with it, Turbo Tax 2012 won't talk to Turbo Tax 2011, and on and on. I tried to back it out and reinstall Win 7 but related FAQs and online articles convinced me this would be very difficult. So, like you, I'll just live with it.

Sorry for blathering on — Joe B.

#3: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm
    ----

I looked at he Toshiba website and I can run WIN7 on it, but I will need to buy a full WIN7 distribution to do so......so much for the $150 savings.

#4: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 am
    ----
I think the WIN8 is better suited to the *younger* generation. My son loves it- I do not. They are all about apps so this works for them I guess. I couldn't use an app if my life depended on it. He's been trying to get me & my other son to upgrade but I'm not doing - I know I'll hate it since I'm already having a hard time with my new phone. SO much for modern technology.

#5: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: gogangaLocation: North Italy PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm
    ----
nuccia wrote:
I think the WIN8 is better suited to the *younger* generation. My son loves it- I do not. They are all about apps so this works for them I guess. I couldn't use an app if my life depended on it. He's been trying to get me & my other son to upgrade but I'm not doing - I know I'll hate it since I'm already having a hard time with my new phone. SO much for modern technology.

Try a Mac. It takes a few days to get used to it, but after a while you'll forget about Windows... and you will be wondering why you did not try it before.. Wink

#6: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm
    ----
I Agree. I left the world of Windows about 8 years ago and haven't looked back.

#7: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm
    ----
I would love a MAC - if I could afford it. I have always wanted one. Maybe one day I'll get it - maybe about the same time I finally invest in a dishwasher...

#8: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 am
    ----
Me too Nuccia. I have the new dishwasher still can't afford a MAC ! Also, aren't there a lot of program translate problems if your files are in a PC Windows environment? Someday maybe? Joe B.

#9: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 am
    ----
What YOU GOT A DISHWATER???? Well then you are definitely ahead of me. I think the reason my husband doesn't want one (besides the money and lack of space) is that he knows I would use the time to do more research instead of housework!! lol Honestly I get more and more confused with each new generation of computers so I don't know anymore. Equation: 2 bucks a day for x number of days =MAC Smile (And I failed math - huh!

#10: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 am
    ----
Yes, "X number of days" that would be my problem too. So lets see, you soap up the dish, then you rinse it, then you get a towel and dry it. I seem to remember doing that once in a while. X number of days is starting to sound - not so bad!

#11: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:15 am
    ----
Actually with a Mac you can run Windows using programs such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion and have the Windows world right on the Mac without rebooting or giving up the Windows programs you already own--I did this for a while with the Windows version of Quicken. Files can be dragged and dropped from one OS to the other.

Apple offers refurbished Macs at a discount. The refurbs are reconditioned by Apple and are basically new devices which for one reason or another have been returned; they are usually snapped up very quickly though. The cost is not really out of line with comparably configured PCs and OS X is a much better behaved OS than Windows. No OS is perfect but I certainly haven't had to worry with anti-virus software in years.

#12: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 am
    ----
I think my next investment will be a MAC. I have always wanted one and it's time I do something for me. But for now I will work with what I have as this was a gift from a good friend.

#13: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 am
    ----
I just read the headline on this subject and I can now say that I fully agree that Windows 8 is not intuitive without a touch screen (which I don't have). I have been using my ipad more than my new Laptop because I don't have enough time yet to figure out how to use Windows 8. I hope the tutorial that goes with Windows 8 is worthwhile because I can hardly do anything, including going forward and backwards on a webpage. I am totally lost!

BTW, I bought my ipad refurbished through Apple's website and got a pretty great price for it. Tom is right, they get bought quickly so if you have your mind set on their refurbished products you should check back every day, several times a day until you find one and can scoop it up.

#14: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am
    ----
I purchased a small program called STARDOCK which provies a "start menu" for WIN8....good deal for $5.

I have a "refurb" Motorola Xoom tablet --- 10" with Android OS; I bought it on a "liquidator" website called DailySteals for ~ $200 ---- I use it quite bit. It is "Verizon branded" and there is a slot for a SIM card plus it supports WIFI.

#15: Re: WINDOWS 8 ---- NOT SO EASY TO USE ON NEW LAPTOP Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am
    ----
I will have to check that our Charlie. Thanks! Do you know of any good windows 8 tutorials in the meantime? I reviewed the one that came with the computer last night. I learned some things but I am sure there is a lot more to go!

-> PC Info and Guides