Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: tracking hits on website
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: tracking hits on website Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 am
    ----
I use statcounter.com to track the hits on my website. Sometimes I get weird ones like hits from China with no referring link. I had multiple China hits last week and I am wondering if this was an attempted hacking. I really can't believe that anyone in China would stumble upon my website without a referring link. We are talking about an Italian village with a population of 1500 people! Today I got a hit from Japan with no referring link. Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas on why I would get these wacky hits.

#2: Re: tracking hits on website Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11 am
    ----
The ones from China are almost guaranteed spammers. They are looking for 'mailto' links and other types of emails. Most of the time they are harmless but be diligent - many can hack an account. As long as you log into your site often and keep look around you should be ok. Also check last log in (from backstage) and you can see if someone has tried or been in there. I had one domain hacked years ago (the person I gave it to left a 'hole' in it and I never checked. Eventually I just ended up terminating the whole site - I wasn't using it.

-> PC Info and Guides