Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help Please!!
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Help Please!! Author: jguy76 PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:07 pm
    ----
My grandfather came from Italy in 1908. I'm not sure of much info. I think he was from Milan but i could be wrong. Our last name is Guy which doesnt sound Italin at all. I trying to find out what my last name was before it was changed. Thanks for any help

#2: Re: Help Please!! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:32 am
    ----
We need a little more info. What was your grandfather's name and approximate year of birth? What was his spouse's name (maiden if known) . Do you know who his dad was? Where did he settle? Children's names? ANy little info you have may help a great deal.

#3: Re: Help Please!! Author: jguy76 PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 pm
    ----
His name was Dominic Guy.His fathers name was William and his wifes name was Lillian Ettaro.I think he was born in 1903 but i am not positive of that. His whole family settled in Clearfield Pennslyvania. Thank you so much for your response and i hope that you can help me,it means alot.

#4: Re: Help Please!! Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:42 pm
    ----
I believe your great grandfather William Guy was Gaetano Pellegrino per the following image of a Sons of Italy Death Benefit record on Ancestry.com.
I was unable to save image to an image hosting service. Records show he was born in Altavilla Irpina and his wife was Amalia Gaeta. He died on 6 Mar 1956 and was born in 1882. Address mentioned is 1220 Dosy? St in Clearfield.

interactive.ancestry.c...1979-02739

I'll keep checking to see if I can verify.

Biff

#5: Re: Help Please!! Author: jguy76 PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 pm
    ----
Thank you so much Biff!!! That was my grand parents address and i think my great grandparents lived there also. Are you saying that Wiliam's name was Gaetano Pellegrino and they changed it? As far as i know his wifes name was Emily. Could it be that her name was Amalia but they just called her Emily? I have an aunt named Amalia. Again thank you so much for taking your time to help a stranger. Any further info will be appreciated.

#6: Re: Help Please!! Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:27 pm
    ----
You're Welcome!

Thanks for verifying the information. Based on what I've found it appears the name was changed to William Guy; I believe Emily was the Americanization of Amalia.

I've been checking immigration records for your great grandfather, great grandmother and grandfather but have come up empty so far. I'll post anything I find on this thread.

Best,
Biff

-> Where do I begin?