Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help starting my search for Tazzari family
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: tazzari PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 am
    ----
Can anyone help, I am trying to find the exact location of where my GGG Grandfather Benedetto Tazzari came from in Liguria before he emigrated to Scotland with his brother Domenico. I believe that he maybe from the Genoa area but I do not know where to start looking. I have found all that I can about the family in Scotland but don't know where to start my search in Italy, I have his parents names who never left Italy but do not know how to go about finding records for them.
Any help would be appreciated

#2: Re: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:42 pm
    ----

there is only one family now listed in the phone directory for Genoa:

genova.virgilio.it/ele...=L&oa=

maybe you can check some of the surrounding communities nearby to see if you find more. If so, then you can start to research records for that community. please keep in mind that the first names are also often repeated in a family as well.

I hope that this helps.

#3: Re: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: tazzari PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:40 am
    ----
Thanks Charlie

#4: Re: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 am
    ----
There are records available on the Family Search website for Genoa. Have you had the chance to explore them yet?

You may also be interested in ordering the microfilms for that time frame [again available through the same website] and spend some time looking through them at your local center.

Keep us posted!

#5: Re: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: tazzari PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:30 am
    ----
Hi Nuccia, thanks for the link I will have a look and see if anything comes up.

#6: Re: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: tazzari PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm
    ----
Hi Nuccia,

I have ordered an 1860 marriage certificate for Domenico to see if there was any information that may give a location to where the brothers came from in Liguria, On the marriage certificate for Domenico his fathers given name is different to Benedetto's. The witness for Domenico has the same surname as Benedetto's mother (Bacigalupo). Would you know if it was not uncommon for the marriage certificates of two siblings to have a different given name for their father.

#7: Re: Help starting my search for Tazzari family Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:07 am
    ----
Hi!
There are a few different reasons siblings could have different father's names listed on their birth acts. You didn't say if the surname was the same so here is what I can think of....
1.) is simply because the father's middle or "sopranome" [nickname]name was used instead of his first name [this also can apply with the mother's given names]. This generally happened when the father named a son after himself and was used to differentiate father and son.
2.) The father has passed away and the mother remarried the brother of her deceased spouse. This would still mean the siblings carried the same surname but the father's were brothers. You would

Hope this helps! Very Happy

-> Where do I begin?