Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: FTM16 and Vista
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: FTM16 and Vista Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 am
    ----
I just started to set up my new computer. I loaded FTM16 and it said that it is not totally compatible with Vista and I would need to look for a patch to download. Well, it is going to be a while before I can log onto the internet from home because we still have to order DSL and right now I have no service (used to have dial up). I think we are going ot have a phone jack installed near the computer instead of going wireless. So I have to wait for the phone co. to schedule this. Is it ok if I use FTM in the meantime without the patch. Will anything really bad happen? I was able to open FTM and it looks fine to me.

#2: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 am
    ----
Hi Lori. I loaded FTM 16 on my computer last week. I also have vista. I know you don't have internet yet, but when you do and you open FTM it will automatically take you to the site to download the patch. It took about 5 minutes to complete the whole process. It actually walks you through it. It was very simple and it works great, no problems. I am actually starting to really enjoy vista now. It's pretty advanced.

#3: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:04 am
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
I just started to set up my new computer. I loaded FTM16 and it said that it is not totally compatible with Vista and I would need to look for a patch to download. Well, it is going to be a while before I can log onto the internet from home because we still have to order DSL and right now I have no service (used to have dial up). I think we are going ot have a phone jack installed near the computer instead of going wireless. So I have to wait for the phone co. to schedule this. Is it ok if I use FTM in the meantime without the patch. Will anything really bad happen? I was able to open FTM and it looks fine to me.
You are going to love DSL once you get it. The difference between dial up and DSL is amazing - I will never go back!

#4: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am
    ----
I can't wait to have a high speed connection! I think my whole online experience will change for the better. So, in the meantime, can I use my FTM without the patch? Just a little bit....

#5: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:12 pm
    ----
you might have glitches...I would wait. It will be worth it.

#6: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:29 pm
    ----
With the type of information that you are dealing with, I would suggest waiting.

#7: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:28 pm
    ----
Thanks, Bob and Gina. That is what my gut told me...but you know, I was being impatient and hoping I could "make do." I think you are the voice of reason and will "abstain" from using FTP until I get my internet connection up and running.

#8: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:37 pm
    ----
Poipu - When I moved I had mine up and running the same day - you may want to call them and find up what the hold up is. Don't they understand you have software to update and this forum to keep up with?!! lol

#9: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:53 am
    ----
Well, I think the problem is the two of us!!!! We have to be home for them to install the new phone jack and we leave for vacation next week and can't afford to take extra time from work before our vacation, so I have to wait, impatiently, until we return.

#10: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
    ----
Well, like the others I suggest you wait. DSL is awesome..so much faster the dial up. Besides, if you are going on vacation anyways you will forget everything by the time you get back so i would wait anyways.

#11: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: wldspiritLocation: Usa PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:38 am
    ----
Dsl is fantastic....with just a click you are there!!! No waiting for the screen to appear......because of our new location, I just went from Dsl back to dial up......it sucks!!!! neclord
Hoping they bring high speed out here to the boonies!!!
Lee

#12: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:08 am
    ----
I use high-speed cable, which is similar to DSL and generally slightly faster ... tied in with our cable service.

#13: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:14 am
    ----
rfornal wrote:
I use high-speed cable, which is similar to DSL and generally slightly faster ... tied in with our cable service.

Bob,

Again I goofed. I also use high speed cable. Was on DSL and on dial up once several years ago but this is better. Mine is with Rogers Cable (as you probably know).

#14: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: wldspiritLocation: Usa PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:09 am
    ----
Cable is even better than Dsl, my mom had it.....but we don't even have
cable out here.......most everybody has satellite tv.......I am going to check into the dish network, I think they may offer an internet package.

Lee

#15: Re: FTM16 and Vista Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:21 am
    ----
wldspirit wrote:
Cable is even better than Dsl, my mom had it.....but we don't even have
cable out here.......most everybody has satellite tv.......I am going to check into the dish network, I think they may offer an internet package.

Lee
No Cable? OMG!!! I have had cable since 1980 - I cannot imagine not having it. You should come by my place sometime - you can use my dsl connection in front of my cable tv!! I'll even cook for you (that, you may regret Confused ). If your not adventurous we can order pizza! Very Happy

-> PC Info and Guides