Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Procedure to get baptism certificate
-> Southern Italy

#1: Procedure to get baptism certificate Author: isaballe PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:42 pm
    ----
I'm trying to find a copy of my grandfathers baptism certificate. His name is Tommaso Feriante and he was born a foundling in Patti, Italy, 1882. Are these records available through the Patti Archives or do I need to get it from the church where he was baptized?

Any idea how many Catholic churches there were in Patti 1882 so I know which one to contact? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#2: Re: Procedure to get baptism certificate Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:30 pm
    ----
www.parrocchiemap.it/p...ione=Patti
This site will give ou a list of churches and addresses.
The baptism record won't give you any additional information, usually less. It definitely won't give you the parents names even if they were present as it was against the law to name them if they weren't married. However, since the weaver, age 60, who declared the birth, was also given the child to provide for its feeding so she undoubtably knew the mother (she may even be the Grandmother) but it will be alost impossible to prove. There won't be any written record unless the parents 'recognized' the child formally after they married.

#3: Re: Procedure to get baptism certificate Author: Roze PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:24 pm
    ----
I think it's strange that the two witnesses and the man accompanying the woman show no records. Witnesses Palmio Morulli age 32, Maria Mollica age 60 (and Pietro Mollica age 60) . I can't find anything on any of them. Something is not right here.

#4: Re: Procedure to get baptism certificate Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:34 am
    ----
The witnesses are just that. Two people who witnessed the writing of the birth record.
The woman who took the baby to the town hall to register it then asked the Mayor for permission to take it to someone who would feed it. This usually indicates that the child was returned to the natural mother as a foundling. No mention will ever be made of the child's parents as they were obvioulsy not married and not allowed to be named. If the couple had been living together or had any intenetion to marry then the father would have registered the child thereby giving it his surname. In this case, the child was given an invented surname which she would carry for the rest of her life even if she gre up with her natural mother and knew her father. This was the law.

-> Southern Italy