Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Curious Document
-> Translations

#1: Curious Document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:35 am
    ----
I am unable to figure out the type of document this is. I am specifically interested in the content as it relates to Luigi Monte and Francesca Valentino. My translation skills are a bit rusty these days and the handwriting presents its own problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2: Re: Curious Document Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:54 am
    ----
Hi. Just the basics. "at 11:00 am passed away in her own house in this area of "F...zeluco"?, Francesca Valentino, daughter of Francesco .....?(I think this might[/i[i]] be his occupation, but I can't figure it out), aged 23, and of Rosalia Traina?, married couple. Wife of Luigi Monte.

If you want the other parts of the document translated, let me know.

Mary

#3: Re: Curious Document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:29 am
    ----
Thanks for the help. I was looking for "morto" or some such wording but did not see it so there must be another expression which indicates a death. I believe the bit following Francesco, the father, is Francesca's age; it states she was 23, I believe. This was part of an Allegati so the usual atti di morte was not present at the top of the document and with the script being more difficult I was lost in deciphering the content.

#4: Re: Curious Document Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:02 pm
    ----
They stated that she died by "e cessata di vivere" = stopped living.

Mary

#5: Re: Curious Document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 am
    ----
Thanks, Mary. In looking over the document I see that now. I could make out the "living" but I was unable to make out the preceding word. Also on another note, I have encountered a document entitled Certificato di Poverta. I suppose translated literally it is certificate of poverty, is that accurate and if so what does that mean, what is the nature of the document?

#6: Re: Curious Document Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:37 pm
    ----
From what I understand, there was a fee to be paid, associated with a marriage, but if the couple was too poor to afford it, it was waived, and the couple was married anyway. It is just that -- a certificate of poverty.

Mary

-> Translations