Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Genealogy for Barbera relatives
-> Southern Italy

#1: Genealogy for Barbera relatives Author: isaballe PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 am
    ----
New to genealogy and I'
m wondering if there was ever a census type of listing in Italy at some point that listed the entire family. If not, what is the best way to search for my grandmothers and great grandparents siblings? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2: Re: Genealogy for Barbera relatives Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:34 am
    ----

The only Italian Census that I'm aware of is the Catasti Onciario of 1754 that was mandated by the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (Due Sicilie) which covered Sicily and most of Southern Italy (south of the Papal States). The King ruled from Naples I believe. I was able to obtain a copy from an Italian Genealogist who was extracting records from the Church Archives in Corato (BA) for me (prior to the Civil Records which began in 1809 in most of the smaller towns and cities). I know it is available from the Archivio in Naples, because a guy I know went there. He was shocked as they bought out a 250 year old book for him to research. There are also other records from it at some of the Provincial Capitals (like Bari) called Catastini. It may also be available in some larger cities but I'm not sure. I had asked a gentleman I know from my Ancestral town if there were other later censuses and he said no.....maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject. With this Gentleman's help I was shown the house listed in the Census for my Ancestors (no street address, just coordinates and nearby structures like the Church).

To my knowledge nothing like this is online, but who knows there is a lot of work being done to digitize records.

I hope this helps.....

PS -- You might get lucky as someone on this group mentioned that there was a CD with the data for her town; not sure if that occurs elsewhere. She has not posted for a long time however???

-> Southern Italy