Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
-> Southern Italy

#1: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: Dangat PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 am
    ----
Hi,

My great-great grandpa Bruno wrote in his US Army conscription papers that he was from Valanidi in Reggio Calabria. I emailed Motta San Giovanni (which appears to be the town of which Valanidi is a part) and they emailed me back a copy of his birth certificate (I guess it was his birth certificate; it only had his name and day/month/year of birth, and the names of his parents). He was born 20 October 1887. Basically I want to get information for HIS father, Bruno. I don't know how old Bruno was when his son was born, and I don't know where Bruno was born. I'm guessing that it has to be Valanidi, or some other division of Motta San Giovanni. Does anyone know who would hold the birth, marriage, and death records for Valanidi/Motta? Would they be in Motta proper, or did they send those records from the 1800s to a more centralized location, probably Reggio di Calabria? Does anyone know if these extant documents have been digitized, and are searchable in a database online? Or are they all still on paper sitting in a building that either I'll have to visit or pay someone over there to visit and do research for me?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Yours ,

Dan Gattuso

#2: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:52 am
    ----
I have found a birth record for Andrea Guttuso, born in Valanidi Oct 20 1887, son of Bruno (aged 33) and Antonia Cuzzucrea: www.antenati.san.benic...ewsIndex=0
is this your ancestor?

#3: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: PrimoMattino PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 am
    ----
Here is his baptism. It says 1887 18 october Andrea Gattuso son of Bruno Gattuso of the late Andrea and Antonia Cuzzucrea of the late Stefano. Witness was Antonia Paviglianiti of Giuseppe.

Last edited by PrimoMattino on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

#4: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: PrimoMattino PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 am
    ----
His parents married (in church) 15 november 1886. They were: Bruno Gattuso of the late Andrea and Angela Putortì, and Antonia Cuzzucrea of Stefano and Lucrezia Gattuso

#5: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:37 am
    ----
PrimoMattino wrote:
Here is his baptism. It says 1887 18 october Andrea Gattuso son of Bruno Gattuso of the late Andrea and Antonia Cuzzucrea of the late Stefano. Witness was Antonia Paviglianiti of Giuseppe.

Stefano, the father of Antonia Cuzzucrea was living.
According to this record Andrea was born on Oct 17, while the civil record states he was born on the 20th!

#6: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: PrimoMattino PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am
    ----
Correction: Also Angela Puturtì was deceased already.

#7: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:48 am
    ----
The civil marriage was celebrated Sept 3 1886, here is the record: www.antenati.san.benic...ewsIndex=0 Antonia Cuzzucrea was 19yo at the time of marriage

#8: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: PrimoMattino PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm
    ----
From there on Dangat can find his way backward until 1809. The parish records only go back untill 1762 except for the marriages which are lost all together.

#9: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: PrimoMattino PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 pm
    ----
Baptism of Bruno Gattuso

#10: Re: Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help! Author: PrimoMattino PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 pm
    ----
The only Andrea Gattuso I've found in the baptisms. Should be the father?

-> Southern Italy