Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
-> Southern Italy

#1: Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 pm
    ----

In the past I have been able to request and receive numerous Extractions from the Comune di Corato (BA). Unfortunately the gentleman who ran the department has now retired. I have sent two written requests to the Office and also sent a copy to the Mayor with no documents or response. I have been told that compliance is required by Italian law.....is there anything I can do or anyone else I can go to. I sent the request beginning in July, 2017.

I have provided both names and pretty specific dates for each person I requested which should simplify the research needed.

#2: Re: Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civil Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:48 am
    ----
Some very small towns are dispensing with the office clerk and having the work done by ??? Not sure how this will work but I doubt it bodes well for researchers.
Pretty specific dates may not be enough.
Filippo Muggeo is a genealogist who lives in or very near Corato. He might be able to help or at least explain. f.muggeo @ alice.it

#3: Re: Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civil Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 am
    ----

Thanks Ann....do you know if the town is required to respond (and whether it applies to non-Italian citizens)?

I will email Filippo and ask if he knows the new person at the L'Ufficio di Stato Civile.

Corato is not that small, it has about 50,000 inhabitants.

Maybe I got lucky with the former head of the office --- I met him personally early on so that may have aided his responses ---- he provided at least 50 docs over the years.

-> Southern Italy