Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: A big favour please
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:02 am
    ----
Could someone please look up ancestry for me.
I've just been given a copy of an 1891 census that lists my grandfathers's surname as DOPHLIS (should be De Filippis)It is him because the family members are listed,my father included. I've tried to access this census but cant find it anywhere on the 'net all I came up with is that they had census record ,birth and death records for that surname.
I would like to find out if any of the other birth/ death records for that name belonged to my family. In 1891 grandfather (Giovanni)was down as being 37 years old and his occupation was an Ice cream vendour/hawker Grandmother age 30 in 1891 in census name was Franchatty (Francesca)
Grateful for any help
Emmy

#2: Re: A big favour please Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:59 am
    ----
Emmy, here is the census...

Liz Cool

www.raicesonline.com

#3: Re: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:26 am
    ----
Many Many Thanks for that Liz
I'm curious did you find that on Ancestry? What did you type in to get it to come up? I've tried all kinds of combinations on different sites with no results except one on Ancestry that said there was inf. on census/births/deaths with that name .Did it say anything about births/deaths under that name? (Dophlis)
Now I cant seem to get into Ancestry to look up the free searches- just what I'm doing wrong now I dont know!!
Your a gem
Emmy

#4: Re: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 am
    ----
Sorry for asking those questions on my last post! Embarassed
I've found what I was dong wrong and although it does say there's inf. in the deaths and births re Dophlis it also says there are 6 families but I think that could be because there are 6 members in the family listed on the census? could I be correct?
I also found a death notice for Nicholas v. Ciccone born 1920 died 1993 in Macomb Michigan but no address given unless you have ancestry.
Would the information given give a link to his parent's / living relatives names. I have a feeling that this may be my grandfather's brother's grandson-
(my grandfather's brother ? my great uncle?)
Emmy

#5: Re: A big favour please Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 pm
    ----
Emmy, all I did was input the surname you gave and then the six members of the family showed up (listing them here as indexed in Ancestry): Gron & Franckatty Dophils, plus children: Anthony, Christopher, Frank and Michael.

When doing the Search on Nicholas V. Ciccone....this is what I could see:

Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996

Name: Nicholas V. Ciccone
Birth Date: 14 Jun 1920
Death Date: 11 Aug 1993
Residence: Sterling Heights, Macomb, Michigan
Place of Death: Sterling Heights, Macomb, Michigan

U.S. Public Records Index

Name: Nicholas Ciccone
City: Sterling Heights
County: Macomb
State: Michigan
Zip Code: 48310

Names:
Josephine Ciccone
Nicholas Ciccone

When searching for "Josephine Ciccone", this is what came up:

Name: Josephine Ciccone
Street Address: 8401 18 Mile Rd.
Zip Code: 48313

Name:
Josephine Ciccone

I hope that helps you Smile

Liz Cool

www.raicesonline.com

#6: Re: A big favour please Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 pm
    ----
Emmy wrote:
Many Many Thanks for that Liz
I'm curious did you find that on Ancestry? What did you type in to get it to come up? I've tried all kinds of combinations on different sites with no results except one on Ancestry that said there was inf. on census/births/deaths with that name .Did it say anything about births/deaths under that name? (Dophlis)
Now I cant seem to get into Ancestry to look up the free searches- just what I'm doing wrong now I dont know!!
Your a gem
Emmy

Emmy - I could not believe it when I saw that 1891 Census Record for Camberwell..... I just recently discovered that 'Naughty Nina's' first husband's family showed in that same register, but in another parish just down the road.....

Here is the link to their record: Entry No. 298 - Frederick Newcombe - son Charles aged 10m (he married Nina....
>1891 Census - Newcombe<
They must have almost been neighbours - Wonder if Charlie ate Jack Tommaso's ice cream?

#7: Re: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:00 pm
    ----
Thanks again liz I take it that this info means that Josephine is still alive.. Wonder if I should chance writing / phoning/? Is there any way I could find out if they had family?

Surprised Carole that is a coincidence. I just got the information today from my cousin in Australia (the one I told you about how he found me through me posting on genealogy forums!)unfortunately Ancestry isnt allowing me access to the link you posted.
Never mind them buying ice cream from Jack Tommaso how about them buying it from my grandfather - Giovanni alias Gion Dophlis Wink Wink Note that he too was lsited as an ice cream vendour/hawkerHow I wish Bob had been here to read that -I know if he was here I would be telling him he was an ice cream 'hawker' too Smile No wonder its soooo difficult to trace family when the names change so often. I've had that address they lived at for a while but couldnt find them anywhere on the 1891 census. Odd thing is my grandfather's brother isnt listed there and in 1887 both families lived together. Just wonder what Tommaso De filippis/Di filippo etc and his wife Fortunata Soave's name changed to?
I was also sent a lot of information about how many Italians were tempted to come to UK -given assisted passage etc by 'not so genuine' Italians already here and then when they got here they found that they had to work long long hours just to keep themselves on the bread line.

Wink I'm determined that one day I will find a LIVING relative who may have been lucky enough to be told a bit about their history. It will need to happen pretty quick though or else I maybe be meeting all the ancestors in 'person' in the 'hereafter' Twisted Evil
Emmy

#8: Re: A big favour please Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:48 pm
    ----
Emmy,

The reason you can't access the link is because you need to be a registered member of ancestry to view it...it needs to be linked with an uploading program. Carole is so excited about her newly found info she must have forgotten!

lol lol Wink

Anyway, here is the link...

Charles Newcombe 1891 Census

Hope this helps.
Very Happy

#9: Re: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:20 pm
    ----
Got it now Thanks Nuccia kiss
Carole and I are getting closer by the minute!! Wink
Emmy

#10: Re: A big favour please Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:43 am
    ----
Whilst things have not been too good for me lately, you ladies restored my batteries in how you responded to Emmy's request.
The old saying what go's around comes around, so I hope that all your kindness and helpfulness to others will be rewarded.
Whilst we are all many miles apart, Gente is like an extended family.
I'm sure grateful for all your help, whilst I may not be too good on a Computor, I can recognize genuine friendship.
Keep it up Girls " You Rock".

party

#11: Re: A big favour please Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:48 am
    ----
chanchisfea wrote:
Emmy, all I did was input the surname you gave and then the six members of the family showed up (listing them here as indexed in Ancestry): Gron & Franckatty Dophils, plus children: Anthony, Christopher, Frank and Michael.

When doing the Search on Nicholas V. Ciccone....this is what I could see:

Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996

Name: Nicholas V. Ciccone
Birth Date: 14 Jun 1920
Death Date: 11 Aug 1993
Residence: Sterling Heights, Macomb, Michigan
Place of Death: Sterling Heights, Macomb, Michigan

Name: Nicholas Ciccone
Zip Code: 48310

Names:
Josephine Ciccone
Nicholas Ciccone

When searching for "Josephine Ciccone", this is what came up:

Name: Josephine Ciccone
Street Address: 8401 18 Mile Rd.
Zip Code: 48313

Name:
Josephine Ciccone

I hope that helps you Smile

Liz Cool

www.raicesonline.com
Um...is this the pop star Madonna's family? That is her last name and this is where they lived. Are you related to Madonna?

#12: Re: A big favour please Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:34 am
    ----
Quote::
Cathy asked....."Um...is this the pop star Madonna's family? That is her last name and this is where they lived. Are you related to Madonna?"

and I ask
'Is this the "Gente Luck" coming into play yet again?'

#13: Re: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:23 pm
    ----
Sorry to disappoint everyone but I dont think I'm related to Madonna!-not going by my looks, voice, shape or bankbook! Twisted Evil but there again who knows!! stranger things have happened!

What I would like to know before I do write to the 'Josephine Ciccone' you found. Is she the wife of the Nicholas who died?

Carnie sorry to hear that things havent been too good for you lately but they are a 'great bunch' here and will listen and help whenever anyone needs a boost be it genealogy or just to talk over a problem as the saying goes 'a problem shared is a problem halved.'

Thanks again everyone
I'm Going out tonight - Knitting Machine Group - all women - pity Twisted Evil
Will let you know if Madonna emails me Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Emmy

#14: Re: A big favour please Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:51 pm
    ----
Quote::
Whilst things have not been too good for me lately,

Carnie,

Is there anything we can help you with? If so, all you need to do is ask. If not or if you just need to vent, you know you can. I'll leave it up to you.

Emmy,

Not sure if Josephine was married to Nicholas but they did live in the same area. Its something worth pursuing.

I'd go ahead and take the chance..write the letter anyway and see where it leads. Take it from there.

#15: Re: A big favour please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:54 am
    ----
Thanks Nuccia I have just noticed there is something on The 'One World Tree' by a Josephine Ciccone and it says 'living' on it. Is there a link to this site other than through Ancestry?
Emmy

-> General Discussion Groups