Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with deciphering / translating birth record
-> Translations

#1: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:10 am
    ----
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here-- Carole gave me the link to this site from the expatsin italy site, and this looks like just what I need!

I've finally gotten a copy of my great grandfather's birth record from Modica, but I'm having a very, very hard time making out a lot of the handwritten words on the certificate. Some things like dates and names I can make out, but I'm clueless on some of the longer handwritten phrases. I was hoping that someone who is more familiar with the Italian language and might know what types of things would be written on a birth record could take a look at this one and let me know if they can figure out any of the words. Anyone up for the challenge? I've posted a scan of the record at http://www.atomicagefilms.com/images/salvatore.birth.copy.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated-- thanks!!

#2: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:38 am
    ----
"On 9-28-1979, in front of me, Salvadore Nativo, mayor of Modica, came Antonino Barone, 40 ears old, farmer, resident in this town, and he told me that at 1:00am of 9-28, in the house situated in Via San Francesco d'Assisi 25, his wife Maria di Raimondo had a child, male, named Salvadore.
Witnesses to this declaration are Giorgio Giurdanella and Orazio Pulino.
This act was read to the attendees and signed only by me (salvadore Nativo) because the other people are illiterate."

On the right side it says that Salvadore Barone married (civil marriage) Giovanna Scarso, daughter of Giorgio, on April 22, 1905, in Modica. The registration nr is 123

#3: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:50 am
    ----
Quote::
jb5150 said: "..... I'm a newbie here-- Carole gave me the link to this site from the expatsin italy site, and this looks like just what I need!"

Hi 'jb5150',
I'm glad you tried out our site and that Liviomoreno managed to read and has translated your certificate for you.
giornale

Thank you so much Livio - that was great - and so fast......

'jb' dare I be cheeky and ask you if you could just put a small post on Expats in Italy to say that we DID manage to help you?
We are a fairly new site and are (as are all sites) looking to recruit and help new members.... a testimonial on a site like Expats would really be useful.
Thanks for joining us!
'C'

#4: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:36 pm
    ----
Thank you for the translation, Livio! Just curious-- do you know the titles of the various people who might be completing the record? For example, in this record it is the mayor, but I have some other records that say something different. Maybe like a deputy mayor or some other town official or something? Like another one I have says something that looks like "anenore delegato con atto del sindaco (s really looks like an h in sindaco) demtamarte affevato". I may have totally screwed up some of these words completely....it's very hard to make out what's an r or an s or what's an r/n/m.

Anyway, thanks again!

PS-- Carole, I gave you a shout out on ex pats!

#5: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:36 am
    ----
JB - any relation to Barone's in the Chicago area?

#6: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:13 am
    ----
No, not that I am aware of. Most all of my family lived in the Cleveland area when they came to the US. (We're all scattered now, though...)

#7: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:26 am
    ----
JB5150 wrote:
Thank you for the translation, Livio! Just curious-- do you know the titles of the various people who might be completing the record? For example, in this record it is the mayor, but I have some other records that say something different. Maybe like a deputy mayor or some other town official or something? Like another one I have says something that looks like "anenore delegato con atto del sindaco (s really looks like an h in sindaco) demtamarte affevato". I may have totally screwed up some of these words completely....it's very hard to make out what's an r or an s or what's an r/n/m.

Anyway, thanks again!

PS-- Carole, I gave you a shout out on ex pats!

Assessore delegated by the mayor thru an act. Don't know what demtamarte affevato could be...

#8: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:40 am
    ----
Ahh....now that I look again, that word is definitely assessore. Here is the actual writing of those other words, if that helps any.

#9: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:48 am
    ----
JB5150 wrote:
Ahh....now that I look again, that word is definitely assessore. Here is the actual writing of those other words, if that helps any.

debitamente approvato = duly approved (the delegation act, I believe)

#10: Re: Help with deciphering / translating birth record Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:10 am
    ----
That makes sense-- thanks!!

-> Translations