Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: A translation please?
-> Translations

#1: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:18 pm
    ----
Hi everyone! Could someone please just give me an idea of what this says> I don't need an exact translation, just a summery of it, it seems to be about my town. Thanks Mr. Green kiss .

Mike

#2: Re: A translation please? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 am
    ----
MikeSavoca91 wrote:
Hi everyone! Could someone please just give me an idea of what this says> I don't need an exact translation, just a summery of it, it seems to be about my town. Thanks Mr. Green kiss .

Mike

Mike it will be easier if you attach the document...

#3: Re: A translation please? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:24 am
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
MikeSavoca91 wrote:

Mike

Mike it will be easier if you attach the document...

Oh I do agree Livio.... much easier giornale

Come on Mike...where's your document???

peep

#4: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:03 pm
    ----
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked www.solicchiata.it/sol...ta_3.1.htm OOOOOOPPPPPPPS!! Boy oh boy do I feel silly lol.

#5: Re: A translation please? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:10 am
    ----
In spite of the researches done in castiglione di Sicilia and in the Church of Sacro Cuore di Gesù in Solicchiata, it was not possible to find out the origin of this Village and of its name (Solicchiata).
According o some witnesses the village started at he end of feudalism and grew up at the end of 1800. The place was good at growing grapes and at that time the request of wine was high.
At he beginning there was no water nor electricity. Rich men used to build big cisterns and allowed the farmers to take water. Women had to go to the river Alcantara to wash the clothes.

#6: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:48 pm
    ----
OOOOPPPPS Embarassed ! I forgot I posted this. Thanks Livio! That is interesting, I love trying to understand how life was for there people...my family.

#7: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:32 am
    ----
I found these in a box of my great grandparents' thngs, and I would love to know what they mean. Grazie!

#8: Re: A translation please? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:35 am
    ----
I will leave the translations to the Italians who know what they are doing. The prayer card (Our Lady of Carmel) is signed by a Catholic nun though.
Suor is like Sister.

#9: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:55 am
    ----
Here is the photo to the first letter I wanted translated.

#10: Re: A translation please? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 am
    ----
The following are not literal translation...

midgetpicletter.jpg

"27 September 1958
she (I believe it is referred to the old woman sitting on the knees of the younger one) must be blessed because she did allow to be picked up like a child. She did everything to make us laugh"

marycardwriting.jpg
"Enjoy this holy image and this medal sent by Sister Anna Blandina. You must keep them as a souvenir of her. Many kisses Sister Anna Blandina.

#11: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm
    ----
Thanks Livio! That is so cool, I wish I knew who Anna Blandina was if anythng to the family.

#12: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 am
    ----
Can someone tell me what these say? Sorry the handwriting is sloppy!

#13: Re: A translation please? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:04 am
    ----
I would just also like to know what the name here is, could it be Erminia?

#14: Re: A translation please? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:03 am
    ----
Mike,
It looks like ARMINA .... I know two elderly ladies with that name....

I've translated the text I put here for you.

Nome:
ARMINA
Significato :
Nome di origine germanica che deriva da ermina o da irmina con il significato di "potente, grande": � l'appellativo del dio Tiwaz di un'antica religione germanica. Questo nome, in forma maschile, appare in un poemetto di Goethe ("Hermann und Dorothea", in italiano "Arminio e Dorotea", 1797).

Name:
ARMINA
Meaning:
A name of germanic origin that derives from 'ermina' or 'irmina' which means "powerful, great": May have been the common name of an ancient germanic religion. This name, in the masculine form, appears in small poem by Goethe "Hermann und Dorothea", in italian "Arminio e Dorotea", and in English "Herman and Dorothy" 1797).

#15: Re: A translation please? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:06 am
    ----
The name is Arminia..I can say this in confidence since my name is actually Erminia and I have often had people mis spell it in the past....

Oh yea..and I like the meaning, too. I know its Greek...perhaps a derivative of Hermes.

Very Happy

-> Translations