Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with writing on a photo - please?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Help with writing on a photo - please? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:41 pm
    ----
OK folks - I'm shouting for your HELP here - PLEASE!!!

Here is what was written on the back of the photograph that I presume was of my mother Muriel and her mother 'Nina' (also named Muriel).

It 'seems' that two words have been (possibly) rubbed out and re-written very badly by someone else (?).

This is what I can see clearly

"Muriel & xxx xxxxxx taken on the back terrace the house in the Grove"

Here's the image:

#2: Re: Help with writing on a photo - please? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
Carole I think it says 'her Mother' (the 'r' is written the 'old fashioned' way)
look at the 'r' in word 'terrace' Although the 'M' of the word I think is 'Mother' is not the same as the 'm' in 'Muriel'.
Emmy

#3: Re: Help with writing on a photo - please? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:02 pm
    ----
I agree with Emmy. The m is not capitalized. Before the word mother is a C with a line above it which is medical shorthand for the word with.

#4: Re: Help with writing on a photo - please? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:29 pm
    ----
Yes, I agree, in fact it could indeed be 'her mother'.

I wonder who took the photo? Maybe that was who wrote the note here....

It might have been 'Nina's' second husband - who, it seems from a census record, was deaf and dumb, and was a 44yo widower. He would have been around then (unlesss she'd bumped him off!)

Seeing as my Mum was in her full Girl Guide uniform in the photo, I might try and contact the Girl Guide Association and see if they hold any archives.... She may have a badge (among the many) on her blouse that shows which troop she belonged to. THAT might give a hint as to where the 'Grove' was....

#5: Re: Help with writing on a photo - please? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:25 am
    ----
Hi Carole. Before I even scrolled down to read the rest of the posts about handwriting, the words "her mother" was what I thought it was too.

-> General Discussion Groups