Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Italian Americans in World War II
-> Books and Movies

#1: Italian Americans in World War II Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:15 pm
    ----
600,000 Italian Americans were branded "enemy aliens" during World War II. Now I understand why my grandparents were so reluctant about passing on their language to their children and grandchildren.

Despite this, Italian Americans suffered the greatest number of casualties among any ethinic group during the war, many trying to liberate their brothers in the land of their ancestors. And another group treated even more shabbily, the Japanese Americans, had sons who served in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the most decorated unit in the armed forces.

Thanks to Tom Lucente and the folks at Il Circolo Calabrese where the following links were posted.

Prisoners Among Us Documentary DVD or VHS

Una Storia Segreta: When Italian Americans Were Enemy Aliens Book

Biff

#2: Re: Italian Americans in World War II Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:43 pm
    ----
I never knew that Biff. My dad and his siblings when I was a child changed their Italian names to english and down played their Italian culture publicly. Privately - at home, family parties and weddings, they seemed proud about it which gave my generation a mixed message. Now I understand this a little better.

#3: Re: Italian Americans in World War II Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:49 pm
    ----
Biff, I am still waiting to get my ggm's alien enemy reegistration card. Did you ever try to get one of these through a FOIA request? BTW, I never heard my grandmother speak a word of Italian...this explains things.

-> Books and Movies