Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Ricotta Pie?
-> Recipes

#1: Ricotta Pie? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:27 pm
    ----

Now Biff you must post the recipe.

Emmy

#2: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:20 pm
    ----
Hey Emmy.

I don't have a recipe for ricotta pie but here's my wife's recipe for Ricotta Cookies.

RICOTTA COOKIES

½ lb butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp flavoring (can use orange, lemon, almond, or vanilla)
1 lb whole milk ricotta (low/no fat changes the consistency of dough)
4 cups of flour

Cream butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, baking soda, salt and flavoring and mix well. Add the ricotta and mix well.
Add the flour 1 cup at a time and mix well each time. The dough will be very thick and sticky. If you are using a hand mixer, you may need to mix the last cup by hand as I have had hand mixers burn out with this recipe because the dough is so thick. If you have a large counter top mixer like a Kitchen Aid, it will mix this recipe easily.
I use a teaspoon to drop dough onto the cookie sheets. Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper first. These cookies are delicate on the bottom and will burn otherwise. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. The tops will be lightly golden. Cool cookies before frosting.

Icing

¼ cup softened butter
1 tsp of flavoring (whichever you have used to flavor the cookies)
¼ tsp of salt
1 lb of confectionery sugar (1 box)
1/3 cup of milk

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. I frost the cookies using the bottom side of a teaspoon. Do not refrigerate these cookies. They will stick together because they are moist. (I did the first time I made them and ended up with a solid lump of cookie!) They will keep in a tightly sealed container for 10 days or so. Just layer them with waxed paper after the icing sets and keep them in a cool place. I usually bake these at Christmas and Easter. They are traditional Italian cookies made at holiday times and for special occasions. Enjoy!

#3: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 pm
    ----
I know what I'm making at Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!

#4: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:15 pm
    ----
Thanks Biff and thank your wife too Very Happy
Emmy

#5: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:54 pm
    ----

To me "Ricotta Pie" = "Pastiera Napoletana" (also known as Grain Pie). You can find here the recipe.

#6: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
Wow that looks good Livio. Is this just typical for holidays or is this an "anytime" of year pastry?

#7: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:13 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
Wow that looks good Livio. Is this just typical for holidays or is this an "anytime" of year pastry?

You can find it anytime.

#8: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
I love Ricotta pie. We have 2 - 1 sweet and one not. The one that is not sweet has meat in it like sausage,etc and we always used to have at Easter with eggs baked into the lattice top crust. I am ashamed to admit I have never made either one. It was always my aunts specialty. I really should get the recipies from her.

#9: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:25 pm
    ----
Cathy can you get the recipe and post it? Sounds great. I'm really glad we have a recipe forum on the site - I think it's unique - my hats off to whoever came up with the idea - thanks.

#10: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:28 pm
    ----
Cathy, that sounds like what we call Pizza Rustica. We get it from a bakery at Easter time. Yum! I would love to see the recipe too.

#11: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:16 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
Cathy, that sounds like what we call Pizza Rustica. We get it from a bakery at Easter time. Yum! I would love to see the recipe too.
We call it Easter pie! I wonder how many names these similiar dishes have in the different regions. Confused

#12: Re: Ricotta Pie? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:31 pm
    ----
recipes.epicurean.com/...r-pie.html

Here is a link to a pizza rustica recipe.

-> Recipes