Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: What does this Mean?
-> Translations

#1: What does this Mean? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 pm
    ----
I'm transcribing records (finally after 4 months of sitting on them) and I've come across a phrase I don't understand... Confused

Can someone translate it for me please?

Heres a copy of the image...

Last edited by nuccia on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: What does the Mean? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 am
    ----
What I read is:

Stella d'incerto padre, sua moglie, filatrice,

and I would translate:

Stella d'incerto (?) father, his wife, spinner (someone who spins, who twists fibers into threads)

If you link the whole sentence, I can be more precise.

#3: Re: What does the Mean? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:04 am
    ----
I would need to rescan it again in order to link the whole thing. But it's that word, Incerto that has me stumped. I'll scan it after woek today.

#4: Re: What does the Mean? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:12 am
    ----
Didn't Emmy make a post a while back about incerto meaning unknown?

#5: Re: What does the Mean? Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:43 am
    ----
That word is almost like the one we have in Spanish: Incierto, which means "Uncertain"...hope that helps some Wink

Liz Cool

#6: Re: What does the Mean? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
Thanks you guys. I must have missed Emmy's post about that. Theres also another one I'm having trouble with. Will try and scan that one and post/

Liz, have a great trip and be safe, ok? We'll miss you.. kiss

#7: Re: What does the Mean? Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:17 pm
    ----
Quote::
Liz, have a great trip and be safe, ok? We'll miss you..

((((Hug)))) Thanks! You will not miss me much though...I will be taking my laptop with me, so I can whap you from far away Wink Mr. Green

Liz Cool

#8: Re: What does the Mean? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:37 pm
    ----
I figured you would bring that along, although I think you're going to be too busy to play with it much!

#9: Re: What does this Mean? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:34 pm
    ----
Yes Cathy your correct it said on one of my birth acts 'incerto padre' meaning 'no father' (space for father's name had been left blank ---sometimes it has been written as N. N.)
Emmy

#10: Re: What does this Mean? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:47 pm
    ----
I agree that "incerto padre" means "father uncertain", however I would like to see the full sentence before saying the last word.
Usually the word "ignoto", unknown, was used...

#11: Re: What does this Mean? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:38 pm
    ----
Livio was I correct in in thinking that N.N. means 'no father'? The other words I've found were 'niente padre' and on some birth certificates instead of 'fu' being before the grandfather's name it had the word 'defunto' after it. Does this have the same meaning?
Emmy

#12: Re: What does this Mean? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:39 pm
    ----
defunto means 'dead' or 'deceased' so its intention is the same as 'fu'

#13: Re: What does this Mean? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:07 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:
defunto means 'dead' or 'deceased' so its intention is the same as 'fu'
Great thing to know! I have often seen this word generally used in reference to the home of the deceased.

#14: Re: What does this Mean? Author: gogangaLocation: North Italy PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:27 pm
    ----
Emmy wrote:
Livio was I correct in in thinking that N.N. means 'no father'?

Yes, you are correct.

-> Translations