Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Nice Things for Christmas!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:41 am
    ----
I tought I would like to share a couple of little Chrismas 'tips' from Italy with you all... If you've heard of them already, then just indulge me in my fantasy world!!!

Mandarin Orange Table Lanterns:
Choose a mandarin or satsuma that has what I call a 'loose skin'. I'm sure you know what I mean. Carefully cut a line around it about 1/4 way down from the top with a little 'stalk button' in it. Remove the remaining peel taking great care NOT to break it. Ensure that the white fibrous stalk going up into the bottom of the fruit remains intact!
Place the 'bowl' on a saucer and trickle a little olive oil into it down the centre stalk...this is now the wick. Carefully light the wick and place the Mandarin Lantern on the table. These are spectacular in the dark and give out a wonderful perfume when alight.

Flaming Ice Cream:
Place individual portions of ice cream into small dishes, making sure the dish is NOT full to the brim. Place one or two sugar lumps on top of the ice cream. Pour a little brandy (or liqueur of choice) slowly over the sugar so it dribbles down and over the ice cream too.
Now quickly light the brandy soaked sugar knobs and serve (for best effect) in a darkend room...

Easy to make and a lot of fun. ENJOY!

SO NOW IT'S YOUR TURN - WHAT ARE YOUR 'TIPS' FOR CHRISTMAS?

Last edited by Carole on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:26 pm
    ----
Wink You serve the ice-cream-- I'll eat!!! Smile Smile

Sounds delicious!!
Emmy

#3: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:40 pm
    ----
Emmy wrote:
;-) You serve the ice-cream-- I'll eat!!! Smile Smile

Sounds delicious!!
Emmy

You're on.... Mine's coconut ice cream...and yours?

#4: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:00 pm
    ----
One just like this would go down a treat right now!!

Emmy

#5: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:42 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:
Emmy wrote:
;-) You serve the ice-cream-- I'll eat!!! Smile Smile

Sounds delicious!!
Emmy

You're on.... Mine's coconut ice cream...and yours?

I like to pour Chambord (raspberry liquor) over Hagen Daas vanilla ice cream. YUM!

#6: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:00 pm
    ----
Oh..I just came back from a children's Christmas party and had chocolate fudge brownies, 7 different ice creams covered in chocolate, caramel and/or butterscotch syrup whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. Man, talk about heaven!

Carole, I'm going to try your idea..looks awesome and I love candles.

#7: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:00 pm
    ----
Nuccia I'm drooling Crying or Very sad and I cant even go and treat myself here either!!!

But I am going to try the 'candles'

Hope I do it correctly - if I dont then you'll probably hear a loud clanging noise - Wink that will be the fire engine coming to rescue me hide Wink
Emmy

#8: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:56 pm
    ----
Here is the proof of the pudding!! It works - used a lot of matches though -- and so far no fire engine!!;-) Wink Wink Surprised

Emmy

#9: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:17 pm
    ----
I'm not sure Emmy, but it looks like you left the 'innards' inside the peel...(did you?)

The peel shoud be empty with the little 'wick' standing up in the middle all by itself. It's easier to light too generally!

But I'm glad you tried - they are rather nice, I must admit, on a table when you're eating...

#10: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
They're gorgeous! U can't wait to try it..after I finish cleaning this h*ll hole! Twisted Evil

#11: Re: Nice Things for Christmas! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:54 pm
    ----
So that's why I had to keep topping up the oil!! Shocked Surprised
Never mind I had lovely roasted orange in the middle Very Happy

Emmy

-> General Discussion Groups