Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Italian and Spanish translation
-> Translations

#1: Italian and Spanish translation Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:42 pm
    ----
If anyone thinks this letter/email is inappropriate, missing information, etc, please let me know. This is what I would like translated into Italian and Spanish. This is a more generic letter that I plan on sending to about 20-30 people. (too ambitous?) I will be writing a more specific letter for Sinforoso's. I appreciate your efforts very much.

My name is Catherine Napolitano. My grandfather was Giuseppe Napolitano who was born in Parantoro, Montalto Uffugo, Italy {or should I say in the Parantoro section of Montalto Uffugo} in November 1892. His mother was Angela (Angelina) Napolitano and his father was Enrico Napolitano. Enrico died at the age of 25 in 1895. In 1898 Angela married Raffaele DeSeta who also lived in Parantoro and they had 6 children; Emilia, Delfina, Enrico, Antoinetta Genovassa, Carmela and Riccardo who died at age 6 months. I am seeking any family in an attempt to know about the family my grandfather left behind. It is important to my father and I. My father has always wanted to see the faces of his grandparents. I am hoping someone has pictures. I have enclosed a copy of our family tree so you can see if there are familiar names that may connect us. You may also visit my website to see more detailed information. I have provided the web address (in spanish the link to the website) below.
Many thanks for your time.
www.montaltouffugo.net/ (click on "My Family" to read more about my family)

#2: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:46 am
    ----
Mi chiamo Caterina Napolitano. Mio nonno era Giuseppe Napolitano, nato a Montalto Uffugo, frazione Parantoro, nel novembre del 1892. Era figlio di Angela (Angelina) Napolitano e di Enrico Napolitano. Enrico morì a 25 anni nel 1895 e Angelina si risposò nel 1898 con Raffaele De Seta, anche lui di Parantoro. Raffaele ed Angelina ebbero 6 figli: Emilia, Delfina, Enrico, Antonietta Genoveffa [I believe this is the correct spelling], Carmela e Riccardo che morì a 6 mesi.
Sto cercando di avere informazioni sulla famiglia di mio nonno, questo è molto importante per mio padre e per me stessa. Mio padre avrebbe sempre voluto vedere conoscere i suoi nonni. Spero che qualcuno abbia delle foto o dei ritratti. Ho allegato una copia dell'albero genealogico della mia famiglia in modo che Lei possa verificare se ci sono dei nomi che potrebbero indicare un legame di parentela. Può anche visitare il mio sito Web, all'indirizzo www.montaltouffugo.net/ per avere maggiori informazioni (clicchi su My Family per avere ulteriori dettagli sulla mia famiglia).
Grazie per il suo tempo

#3: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:56 am
    ----
Cathy, in the letter that I just translated, you say that Giuseppe was born in 1892 and that his father Enrico died in 1895. In your website you say that Giuseppe "By the time he was 15 years old he was an orphan". Am I missing something? Question

Also, in the letter the name of the sixth's child of Angelina and Raffaele is Riccardo, while in the website the name is Alfredo.... Question

#4: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
Livio,
You think your confused! Shocked His father died in 1895 but he still had his mother then. My grandfather's mother died in 1907 which made him an orphan. Alfredo (his given name on his birth act) must have been changed by Domenico Garrafa when he took the children in after my g grandmother's death because his death act (the dates and parent's names match) reported by Domenico Garrafa lists his name as Riccardo. If any stories survive of this child survive I am thinking the name Riccardo would be remembered since the Garrafa's took him in when he was 2-3 weeks old. Thanks for checking my facts though. That was so sweet of you! kiss

#5: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:41 pm
    ----
OK, now I understand. The misunderstanding is due to the fact that in Italian you are considered an orphan as soon as one of your parents die... I learn now (one will never stop learning) that in English the word orphan implies the death of both parents.
Thanks!!!!

#6: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:31 pm
    ----
Me llamo Catherine Napolitano. Mi abuelo se llamaba Giuseppe Napolitano y nacio en Parantoro, Montalto Uffugo, Italia (o mejor dicho, en Parantoro seccion de Montalto Uffugo) en Noviembre de 1892. Su madre fue Angela (Angelina) Napolitano y su padre fue Enrico Napolitano. Enrico murio a la edad de 25 años en 1895. En 1898 Angela se caso con Raffaele DeSeta quien tambien vivia en Parantoro, y tuvieron 6 hijos: Emilia, Delfina, Enrico, Antonietta Genovassa, Carmela y Ricardo que murio a los 6 meses de edad.

Estoy tratando de encontrar a cualquier miembro de la familia para poder conocer mas acerca de la familia que mi abuelo dejo atras. Esto es muy importante para my padre y para mi. Mi padre siempre ha querido ver las caras de sus abuelos. Tengo la esperanza de que alguien pueda tener fotografias.

Estoy incluyendo una copia de nuestro arbol genealogico para que pueda ver si existen nombres de la familia que le puedan conectar con nosotros. Usted tambien puede visitar mi sitio de internet para ver informacion mas detallada. Aqui le incluyo la direccion de sitio a continuacion.

Muchisimas gracias por su tiempo.

Liz Cool

#7: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:32 pm
    ----
I never knew that either! I think I will change the wording on my webpage. I do get Italian traffic on my site and do not want to confuse anyone. That is very interesting. Does the definition of orphan change with which parent dies first? Or are they an orphan regardless of which parent dies first?

#8: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:35 pm
    ----
Wow, I did not know that about the Italian definition of an orphan either. Very fascinating.

#9: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:37 pm
    ----
Wow Liz! You must have written that while I was writing my previous post! Muchas gracias mi amiga! (did I say that correctly? Shocked ) And happy whap whap Friday!

kiss

#10: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:40 pm
    ----
You can specify: "orfano di padre" or "orfano di madre", fatherless or motherless.

#11: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:50 pm
    ----
Thank you Livio!

#12: Re: Italian and Spanish translation Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 pm
    ----
Quote::
Wow Liz! You must have written that while I was writing my previous post! Muchas gracias mi amiga! (did I say that correctly? ) And happy whap whap Friday!

*Whap!* Happy Whap Whap Friday to you too!!! kiss

And yes, you said that perfectly!

PS: I replied to email already Wink

Liz Cool

-> Translations