Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed!
-> Announcements

#1: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:28 pm
    ----
Just to let you know that Nuccia's internet service has closed due to some virus' so she is 'off air'!

These virus DO NOT AFFECT this site in any way. We have systems to ensure that virus are not spread from here to any of your computers.

We are hopeful that Nuccia will be back on line soon - though I don't know quite when. She will, I'm sure, advise you of her return the minute she is able to.

In the meantime, if you have any problems, I will TRY and help, but I'm not a 'techie' and I can't (won't) touch the data base or any files here on "Gente" - so it's a question of being a little patient until our Boss is back in the driving seat!

OK folks?

#2: Re: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 pm
    ----
Ok, I'm online but I don'y know for how long. It appears my son's computer has been infected by a trojan used in FILE SHARING programs only. The other computers networked in my house have been disabled...My computer has been cleared but I need to take some precautions. The internet provider has allowed me time to post here since the virus is no threat to the site but I may need to shut down and reformat ALL the computers in my house so this bug is actually gone for certain....

I'll be back...

P.S. Stay AWAY from LIMEWIRE and MSN!

#3: Re: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:35 pm
    ----
MY COMPUTER IS CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just checking the others now....thankfully mine was never a risk.

#4: Re: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:12 am
    ----
PHEW!!!

MENOMALE - I'm off the hook!

#5: Re: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 pm
    ----
Just curious, why stay away from MSN???

lilbees

#6: Re: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 pm
    ----
I should correct myself....MSN is ok but some files sent through MSN contain virus's. When a user opens a link infected with a virus, it automatically sends the link to everyone on the persons contact link..usually with a message such as: "Hey, check out this really great picture I took of.....". Of course, when you see something like this you open it without thinking and so the virus is now passed to your computer and the process starts again. Now, the virus can lay dormant for a while and then suddenly, it takes over your system collecting personal info and wreaking havoc on computers since it uses your modem as the source to mask the real "hacker" IP. If your internet provider notices this type of behaviour on their service then they flag you and eventually shut you down to keep the virus from spreading. Usually, they warn you as soon as this type of activity begins but in this case, the warnings were sent to an email which no longer exists so we weren't aware of the problem until I called in a asked why I had no internet service.

Keep in mind, this can happen with any file sharing program..usually Limewire and lately through MSN.

#7: Re: URGENT! The Boss' Internet has crashed! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:00 pm
    ----
Thank you so much for the information.

Will check my system real quick.

lilbees

-> Announcements