Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › All Things Italian › Recipes › TIRAMISU'

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
TIRAMISU'
You asked for it and here it is!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
Nuccia asked me if Tiramisù is an aphrodisiac. I've heard so!
In my opinion this comes from the fact that when you have had Tiramisù you must burn some thousand calories and by saying "aphrodisiac" you get a suggestion ... hide

I've been trying to find a good video in English to show how Tiramisù had to be prepared. Well, all videos show recipes of a dessert which is everything but not Tiramisù. First thing: Tiramisù does not need Zabaglione for the cream as this will change completely the taste and add another bit of calories Mr. Green ; second thing: the egg whites are not part of the ingredients; third: coffe must be cold otherwise it will melt the cream so prepare it before. Last thing: you get a better result if you prepare the Tiramisù one day before or at least a few hours before serving it. You must keep it in the fridge in the meantime.

I found a good recipe written in English but the video, unfortunately, is in Italian (click on Videos). If you are patient enough (they talk a lot) you will see the preparation and also, towards the end, the cook gives a variation as he is not using Savoiardi biscuits (lady fingers) but sponge cake, just in case you prefer that solution. The recipe is for 12 servings!! Who thought it was for 2?

TIRAMESU' aka TIRAMISU'

Sorry for the loooong explanation.
Ada kiss
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe and video Ada. Does the chef use more than one layer of lady fingers in the first part of the video or he only layers the bottom of the bowl? Also, is the coffee american coffee or a stronger version of american coffee? Probably a dumb question but I'd like to give this a try.

Thanks again
Elizabeth

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Its the black espresso coffee..not the brown kind we drink here, with milk. It looked like he layered just once. But one minute you could see them placed, and the next, they seemed trimmed to perfectly round. It didnt show him trimming anything, tho (and man could these two talk).

I have never eaten this..but, I knew it was made with the coffee, lady fingers and marscapone cheese, which I never tasted either. I didnt know all of that raw egg was in there tho..a total turnoff for me..lol
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Elizabeth,
two layers of lady fingers and of course a lot of cream in between. If you cannot find Mascarpone cheese I think I read somewhere that double cream cheese is similar (but I've no idea of what it is). The decoration all around the Tiramisù is not necessary it's only coreographic. Actually, the coffee it's Italian coffee. I'm not very found of coffee (unusual for an Italian) so I don't really know what's the difference with American coffee, sorry. I suppose a stronger version of American coffee would do.
Let me know if you liked it.

Ciao Ada
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Yes, they probably cut the part when he was laying the lady fingers. It's probably going to complicate things if you have to trim so make it square.

There is nothing wrong with raw eggs, many creams, sauces or dressing are made with raw eggs and sugar or salt. What do you think is mayonnaise made with? Probably the industrialized version just saw eggs in pictures. I make mayonnaise myself as it's much more natural then the one you find in shops, full of colouring stuff, thickners and preservatives.
I usually decide if something is good or bad after I have tasted it.

Ada
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

No it isnt because of the unsafety, its because I dont like raw egg. Its probably a mental thing with me. When I was a kid, my sicilian grandmother used to take me to a local soda fountain in the bronx to get a malted (you dont see those around anymore the soda fountain and old fashioned malteds). She would sit me on a stool, then go all the way down to the opening that the workers walked thru and talk to the man there. What I didnt know, until I caught her, was she was slipping the guy an egg..to put in the malted. The day I saw that..was the last malted milk I had at that place when grandma took me there..lol I was probably about only 7-8 years old then, but I still remember it.
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Thanks Ada, I think I'll give it a try this weekend or next weekend. Looks pretty simple so hopefully I won't mess it up!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Billie you should have no trouble buying espresso or marscapone cheese there. I can get both here with no problem. As for the egg thing..my mom used to drink a raw egg every morning (I remember that) and while I couldn't eat it by itself, I don't think I would notice it mixed. Eleven, honestly, if you have never tried tiramisu then you are missing out on something very special so try it once and then let us know (after you come back from the gym).

Ada, do you really make your own mayonnaise? We love mayo here but of course with my husband health issues I have to be careful about serving a lot of things but once it a while I wouldn't mind giving him something he craves (as a treat) and I would feel so much better if it was home made.

Can you post a recipe, please?

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Did you ever see them crack an egg in wine and drink it? ewww..yukkie

I would try the tiramisu..a taste, at least..lol
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

Eleven wrote:
Did you ever see them crack an egg in wine and drink it?

No, I can't say that I have! Very Happy

Eleven wrote:
I would try the tiramisu..a taste, at least..lol

A taste wouldn't be enough! lol

Calabria Exchange
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

In my opinion there is a difference between raw eggs (includind the white part) and raw yolks. I don't like raw white but I'll probably don't notice if it's beaten and mixed. Yolks beaten with sugar are a nutrient and healthy snack for children instead of industrialised products.
Italian farmers in the past used to drink raw eggs. They were working hard in the countryside, eggs were giving them enough energy and didn't need any cooking, very quick and simple.
Of course there is no accounting for tastes!
I lived in several regions in Italy and various countries in the world. I would have starved if I'd known what was in my dish on some occasions and it wasn't a problem of understanding as I can manage with several languages...When you are hungry everything becomes delicious!

Nuccia,
I prepare mayonnaise in 10 minutes, it's easy. I'll post a recipe later on.

Ada
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

My mom used to say the same thing about eggs and I think, in spite of all the talk about how high egg yolks are in cholesterol, served in moderation and correctly are a good thing. As you say, its all about the processing of foods now, Our ancestors raised their own chickens, no steroids and the eggs were eaten fresh. I remember the first time I went to Italy and I asked for a glass of milk and I got fresh goats milk! My brother and sister refused to even look at it but I tried it and although I prefer my milk cold, it wasn't bad. I would much rather eat that then caviar! No that's just awful (or I just don't have any class, not sure which)!

Ok, thanks Ada. I can't wait for the recipe! kiss

Calabria Exchange
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
... I would much rather eat that then caviar! No that's just awful (or I just don't have any class, not sure which)!

I had the chance, unfortunately only a couple of times, to have dinner were only caviar and vodka were served. It was GREAT!!!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

You're bad, Livio! lol

Calabria Exchange
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRAMISU' Reply with quote

I lived in Iran for 4 years. A smuggler was coming to Tehran from the Caspian Sea to sell tins (300 grams) of beluga caviar for a very low price. I remember having tried it in many different ways I also prepared Spaghetti with caviar. Let's forget it....

Ada
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to: