Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Central Italy › Regione di Umbria

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Regione di Umbria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Central Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

Hi,

I will be in Foligno (Umbria) for a couple of days in October --- any suggestions for a must see --- my list of potential 1/2 day visits include: Orvieto, Viterbo, Assissi, Todi, Gubbio, Perugia, Terni and Spoleto --- I am trying to make sure I visit the best towns in the general area (up to an hour away) -- most likely there will be time for 3-4 of the above list.

thanks for any input,

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

Wow..this was posted a while ago and I missed it! Does anyone have any suggestions for Charlie?

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

This isn't tha same as first hand experience but I thought these websites might come in useful..

www.umbriatourism.com/
www.initaly.com/region...umbria.htm

I hope someoone can add to this.

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

Wow...I missed it too Embarassed How did that happen? I have never been to Italy but here are some great links!
www.paradoxplace.com/P...Marche.htm
penelope.uchicago.edu/...a/map.html
Official Umbria site:
www.regione.umbria.it/canale.asp

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

thanks Nuccia and Cathy,

I have been looking at similar sites and also doing some reading about Umbria and there are just so many neat towns in this area. I will be there about 2 days and I was trying to make the most of my time there. I have it narrowed down to about 6-7 towns, but I don't think there will anywhere enough time to do them all justice (they are all within about an hour's drive----including Perugia which is having a chocolate festival which could be dangerous) so I am trying pick about 4-5 places to visit as most are pretty small towns.

I have been to Italy many times, but I have never stayed in Umbria and we are looking forward to seeing it. Most of my trip will be spent visiting my family (1st cousins), but we will stop in Foligno on our drive from Venezia to Puglia (il paese di mia famiglia paterno).

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

Charliemis,
A CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL!!! And you are hesitating...why??? Shocked I would definitely pencil that into my agenda - and Assisi too. The churches and scenery looks georgeous there! And a little blessing from St. Francis could never hurt anyone.

Balboa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

charliemis wrote:
Hi,

I will be in Foligno (Umbria) for a couple of days in October --- any suggestions for a must see --- my list of potential 1/2 day visits include: Orvieto, Viterbo, Assissi, Todi, Gubbio, Perugia, Terni and Spoleto --- I am trying to make sure I visit the best towns in the general area (up to an hour away) -- most likely there will be time for 3-4 of the above list.
thanks for any input,

Ciao charliemis, you have planned a good tour in Umbria. The towns that you are going to visit are the best of that area. Umbria is a beautiful region, and if you like nature...you can be sure that you will be satisfied from the naturalistic landscape. All the places in your list has medieval origin and you will be dipped in an ancient and pleasant atmosphere.
ps: when you stay there...EAT, EAT, and EAT!!..the kitchen umbra is optimal:-D Wink

In whitch place of puglia you will go?

ciao!
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

Reply to Balboa:

I will visit family in Corato, Provoncia di and also Foggia (citta); we are also planning a day trip to Lecce.

Balboa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

charliemis wrote:
Reply to Balboa:

I will visit family in Corato, Provoncia di and also Foggia (citta); we are also planning a day trip to Lecce.
Good, my origin is from provincia di Foggia..the town is Manfredonia, and there i have all my relatives. I'm sure you are going to do a good trip in Italy!

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Regione di Umbria Reply with quote

My Paternal family is from Corato, Provincia di Bari -- my Uncle raised his family in the city of Foggia, my Aunt raised her family in Grenoble, France and my Father came to Philadelphia; only one Uncle remained in Corato. I have four 1st cousins living in Foggia with their families. I found them all in December 2002, and I have been back to visit them each year so far (plus one extra, short visit for a wedding). It has been a wonderful experience for me. I have taken Italian classes at night school so I can communicate (bad grammar, bad pronounciation --- but they are patient and we can usually understand each other). Last year we went to Mont Sant Angelo which was really special and we could see Manfredonia when we decended down the mountain to return back to Foggia. I have also been to Troia and Lucera ---- it has been great each time with my special tour guides.

I have family living all over Italy as many have had to move to the North for work, but this is great for me as I get to see a lot of places when visiting the family.

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Central Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: