Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

FONTANA-PENSA marriage between 1800 and 1814 in Como
Last post by denby in Northern Italy on Feb 27, 2017 at 00:00:12

Online Vital Records
Last post by debbiemfit in General Discussion Groups on Feb 26, 2017 at 21:15:51

Help finding city
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 05, 2017 at 11:10:06

Audino Birth Certificate - Benestare
Last post by drusilla in Where do I begin? on Jan 27, 2017 at 00:23:52

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Ghio in Portovenere

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Ghio in Portovenere

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to locate birth place of my grandmother, Angelina Ghio born August 18, 1897 ?, to Lorenzo Ghio and Beatrice Crisa (spelling?). I believe in Portovenere, because it was written in passenger list on the ship Duilio from Napoli to NYC 9-19-1924. This was not her first trip to America, she already had one child with her on that ship (6 yrs old) that was born in America.

Also we have traced my grandfather Francesco Curci to Ischia, his father Aniello Curci and mother Maria Veccia as listed on his Naturalization cert. but I know spelling can be off. Aniello and Maria stayed in Italy as far as I know. I am hoping to visit Ischia in March or April 2016, God willing and I would like to go to Portovenere as well if I can find out if Angelina was actually born there.

If there is anyone that can please help me I have been asking relatives and going on Ancestry.com for a few years and I think I have done all I can from here.

I also have a few pictures of my grand parents when they were young and one of my great-grandfather. Thank you Francine
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

This is the earlier ship manifest for Angel(in)a Ghio. Line 20, travelling with lines 18 & 19. Last residence and place of birth, Portovenere. Joining father? Lorenzo in San Francisco. Both ship manifests indicate Portovenere as her place of birth.

interactive.ancestry.c..._1867-0096

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Hi Biff, thank you for your reply. I saw that one and she would be about 15, she could have said she was older, 17? The father is not listed on line 20, looks like uncle B. Angelo? Her parents went to San Pedro, CA, so she could have joined them on that route. Her father was a fisherman in San Pedro, so Portovenere would probably be a good place to fish as well. It would be great if I could know if our family on her side, comes from there.

The person that suggested this website to me is Jeff S. from Arizona and works with this site a lot. He mentioned someone may be able to access records from her birth or baptism, etc. over in Italy. I do not speak or read italian and would need help to go to the next step. Can you please advise me what I should do next to look for records from Portovenere?

Thank you, Francine
Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Curci-Ghio wrote:
Hi Biff, thank you for your reply. I saw that one and she would be about 15, she could have said she was older, 17? The father is not listed on line 20, looks like uncle B. Angelo? Her parents went to San Pedro, CA, so she could have joined them on that route. Her father was a fisherman in San Pedro, so Portovenere would probably be a good place to fish as well. It would be great if I could know if our family on her side, comes from there.

The person that suggested this website to me is Jeff S. from Arizona and works with this site a lot. He mentioned someone may be able to access records from her birth or baptism, etc. over in Italy. I do not speak or read italian and would need help to go to the next step. Can you please advise me what I should do next to look for records from Portovenere?

Thank you, Francine
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

The earlier manifest is two pages. Lorenzo's name is on the second page; toggle forward to the next page and you'll see Angel(in)a and the Frumentos she is travelling with state they are joining Lorenzo.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Curci-Ghio wrote:

Thank you, Francine

You can request a copy of her birth act (atto di nascita) from the vital records office in Portovenere. Your request should be in Italian--I've drafted a letter for you based on the 1897 birthdate for Angel(in)a. Include a self-addressed unstamped reply envelope (I use a 6x9 envelope).

Address on outgoing envelope (I use a 9x12 envelope)

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Portovenere
Via Garibaldi
19025 Portovenere (SP)
ITALY

Sample letter

Your Name
Street Address
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Country
Your E-Mail Address (optional)

03 ottobre 2015

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Portovenere
19025 PORTOVENERE SP
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo (Your Name), ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sulla mia nonna, Angel(in)a Ghio. Nata nel comune di Portovenere. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi una copia integrale delll'atto di nascita di Angel(in)a Ghio, in carta libera. Nata nel 18 agosto 1897 e sui parenti erano Lorenzo Ghio e Beatricia Crisa.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Distinti saluti,

Your Signature

Biff

Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Hi Biff

This is great! I am so excited to get started on this. I really, really appreciate your help. I read in some of your blogs that they do not charge for this service, please let me know if that has changed. thanks

Bless you all.. I will keep you posted.

Thank you, Francine
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Francine,

I've never been charged any money for copies of any birth, death or marriage acts I've requested.

Let us know when you hear back from the vital records office in Pontovenere.

Auguri,
Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Quick correction to my sample letter.

Change "Nata nel 18 agosto 1897 e sui parenti erano Lorenzo Ghio e Beatricia Crisa."

To "Nato nel 18 agosto 1897, figlia di Lorenzo Ghio e Beatrice Crisa."

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Angela's first marriage in California in 1915 to Aniello Caserma.

familysearch.org/ark:/...1:XLH7-HSQ

Biff

Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

OK Biff, will change it thank you. Yes I did find that marriage on Family Tree. I also have their wedding photo on my ancestry.com tree. Another example how the names get misspelled in translation. She had one daughter with Aniello Caserma and then married my grandfather Francesco Curci, they had 4 children, split up, but no record if they were married and divorced legally. She then married Luigi Forneris in the 1930s and died in 1938 at the age of 40. My dad was 8 or 9 and only had that one wedding photo of his mother. All her children are still living mid 80s and one is 90 years old, except for her first born Rosalie Caserma. Her dad Aniello remarried in San Pedro to Anna and had another daughter Brigid. Aniello Caserma remained close to my grandfather's family (Curci's) until he passed. My ancestry tree is public and because there have been a lot of marriages on that side it was a challenge. So I am concentrating on the grandparents that have passed on and will save some of the younger cousins to be added later.

I am praying that I get a response before the holidays. I am including my email to them.

Thank you, Francine Maika
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Curci-Ghio wrote:
I am praying that I get a response before the holidays. I am including my email to them.

Thank you, Francine Maika

The average response time for requests I have sent was about 5 weeks from the day I mailed my request until the day I received a copy of the act(s).

Do you have this manifest for mother Beatrice and Angelina's sibings? Lines 27-30.

interactive.ancestry.c...sePUB=true

Biff

Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Hi Biff

Yes I have that one saved to my shoebox on ancestry because their children have different names in the San Pedro census, they may have had more children when they went to San Pedro from S. Francisco or one may be another family.

I have a grand uncle Nicola Curci, from Ischia, and I have found two other Nicolas Curci's from Ischia, two of them are on the same ship and are 2 years apart in age. Luckily I he lived with my grandfather so I do know his birth and death dates. This is why I need more proof of which one is which. Im sure you come across this problem often.

My mother's side of the family is the same, there are many John's, Mary, James and so on. That's why I get so excited when I come across the correct one that I can link up. It's like making a touch down for a football fan.

I will keep looking in the census for S.F. Thanks again
Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

My Letter is in the mail! very excited to get a response. Thanks again Biff for your help. I will let you know when they send me something.
Curci-Ghio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghio in Portovenere Reply with quote

Hi Biff: Well sadly I haven't received a response from my letter inquiring about my grandmother's birth record. It has been well over 5 weeks. I did send the self address envelope you suggested and also sent them my email address just in case they had questions or maybe did not find anything. I am still holding out hope that maybe they were on vacation and I will get a response soon. Happy Holidays, Francine
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: