Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

FONTANA-PENSA marriage between 1800 and 1814 in Como
Last post by denby in Northern Italy on Feb 27, 2017 at 00:00:12

Online Vital Records
Last post by debbiemfit in General Discussion Groups on Feb 26, 2017 at 21:15:51

Help finding city
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 05, 2017 at 11:10:06

Audino Birth Certificate - Benestare
Last post by drusilla in Where do I begin? on Jan 27, 2017 at 00:23:52

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbakeroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to locate a ship's manifest that listed the town of residence for my Great Grandfather Severio as Palizzi. It showed Severio Mafrici arriving into New York with his step-brother Vincenzo Stilo in March of 1904.

Any advice on getting records from Palizzi? I have had a huge brick wall with this side of the family for many years and am excited to find a little hope.

Thank you in advance, I have been so stuck for over two years on this. Maria
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

You can rent the microfilm records for Palizzi.

familysearch.org/searc...%20Library

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
mbakeroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Thank you for the link. I have yet to visit and rent any films from a local LDS center. I had a fear of being overwhelmed but it looks like I will have to get educated and start now as there are so many separate films. I am hopeful.

Thank you, Maria
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Maria,

Last residence does not always mean place of birth. You should try to locate another record which verifies Palizzi as his place of birth--Naturalization, WWI or WWII Draft Reg cards.

I'd suggest you study and familiarize yourself with Italian vital records and their extraction using the following links before your film(s) arrive. It's critical that you can read what date a document was from. This is always at the beginning of the record.

Italian Record Extraction--an essential resource
familyhistory.byu.edu/...efault.htm

Videos on Italian Records
familysearch.org/learn...22Italy%22

Italian Occupations
freepages.genealogy.ro...ngocc.html

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
mbakeroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

These are great links with a ton of information. Thank you.
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Mafrici is not a typical Palizzi name. I am working on Palizzi right now, but I will not go beyond 1865 because the Civil Sate of Palizzi after 1865 is in the archive of Locri.
If you search my website www.benvanrijswijk.com...ogiche.htm with Google in this way: "mafrici, saverio" site:www.benvanrijswijk.com you wil find several Saverio Mafrici in Condofuri and Amendolea, both not far away from Palizzi.
mbakeroo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Thank you I will check out the website. It is possible Saverio was born outside Palizzi and his step-brother Vincenzo Stilo born in Palizzi. Vincenzo listed Palizzi as his place of birth on his WWI registration card. Is Stilo a more common name there? I will rent the microfilm from the LDS but do you know if it is possible to contact the archive of Locri?

Thank you again, Maria
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Both Mafrici and Stilo are names which are quite common in the area between Brancaleone and Reggio Calabria (beyond that area I know nothing), but Mafrici is concentrated in the Condofuri area while Stilo was very common in Africo. I give you a good chance to find the birthrecords in Palizzi, but if you don't I give you the advice to look second in Condofuri. If the Civil State should be the Archive of Reggio I should look for you there the day after tomorrow, but unfortunately they are in Locri. I have contacted Locri several time by phone and they were always very polite, gentile and goodwilling. Perhaps you can send them an email.
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

I forgot this: I am in possession of the church records of Palizzi. If you give me all the information you have got on him I can try to find him for you in the register of baptisms.
mbakeroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

OMG, Thank you. I have a good feeling I am very close to looking in the right areas (finally).

Not sure how accurate the information for my great-grandfather Saverio may be as I have found many errors on death certificates but . . .

The death certificate from 1909 in New York lists his name as Saverio Mafrici Stilo. Father as Francesco Stilo and mother as Francesca Mafrici. Age 29. So born around 1879-1881. He was only in the country for 5 years so little data.

I have better information on his step-brother Vincenzo (Vincent) Stilo as he fortunately lived much longer and created more of a paper trail. I do NOT have anything yet that lists his parents but on his WWI Registration it lists his place of birth as Palizzi and date of birth as May 21, 1889 (however on his headstone and WWII Registration it indicates 1888).

I'm hoping that I can unravel some of Saverio's mystery through his step-brother.

Thank you again for any help you may be able to provide.
Maria
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

So Vincenzo Stilo, son of Francesco Stilo and Leona Potortì was baptized 19-06-1889 (born 21-5) in Palizzi.

Last edited by PrimoMattino on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Saverio Vincenzo Mafrici was baptized in Palizzi 06-11-1881 (born 28-10) as illegimate son (spurio) of Francesca Mafrici and an unknown father.
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Francesca Mafrici died 20-11-1885 at the age of 35 years old. She was the daughter of the late Antonino Mafrici and the late Rosa Moio. She was burried in the new cemetery.
mbakeroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

This is such a lot of information to digest. And I do believe these are the people/family I have been searching for.

Of COURSE Saverio has no father listed, just seems to be my luck. So would one presume he was raised with the name Mafrici in Palizzi or would it be Stilo? He was only 4 when his mother died so perhaps it came out his father was Francesco Stilo and they took him in? Saverio did not come to the United States until 1904 with Vincenzo that he lists as his step-brother so again . . . presume Francesco Stilo is his father?

These brick walls are never easy. Can you possibly tell me anything else about Francesco Stilo? Or if there are other children of Francesco Stilo and Leona Potortì?

You have been so very helpful and I thank you. Maria
PrimoMattino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo) Reply with quote

Francesco Stilo married Leona Potortì 14-08-1884
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: