Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › New records on Ancestry.com

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
New records on Ancestry.com
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

Aosta, Aosta, Italy Civil Registration Records, 1866-1939 (in Italian)
Genoa and La Spezia, Liguria, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1938 (in Italian)

They also have records from:

Palermo, Sicily 1866-1939
Potenza (not all towns) 1866-1939
Caltanessetta, Sicily 1866-1939

(Very few records after 1910)

You can search for free, to see if they have what you need.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

Thanks Eleven. I wish the search engine was different on some of these sites though. You pay all that money and they its so time intensive to search the databases. Honestly, I am trying to make my sites user friendly with minimal upload time. Every month I get dinged from my service provider that I go over my internet usage for the month (and I already have a big package). The more page loads the more money. Sad

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

If I didnt come here, I would have never known they had my mothers province (but not her town. If I didnt just happen to go over to the italian genealogy forum..I wouldnt have known they had my fathers town. I finally figured out, that they must be posting what they are adding someplace...and I found it on the home page, when I scrolled all the way down.

I just want to mention something I observed and I think I am right. If the FHL doesnt have these towns/years..then they wont be on ancestry...at least thats what I think. My mothers town is big..and I wondered why ancestry didnt have it. The reason just hit me the other day. Ancestry seems to be adding the more recent records 1866-1910 (although they say 1939, but there are very few records after 1910). Thats what they show for all of these towns. The FHL has my mothers town, 1860 and back. They dont have these newer records. So, I went into the town list of my mothers province and in another window I opened up the FHL. I tested 3-4. The FHL had the later records for these towns. I believe this is the case..but, I would actually be happy if it wasnt and ancestry has their own records and not some kind of contract with the mormon church. I guess we shall see..as time passes. But, they are adding this stuff pretty quickly.
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

The Mormons filmed at the State archives and they only have the copies of civil records before 1860-5 for many areas. Where they have after 1865 it is because the Tribunal gave the Archives their records after they were reconstructed after WW2. The local towns are now so jealous of their records they do not submit them to the State Archives but prefer to keep them in the town. Often the town has records the Archives never received so if you don't find what you are looking for in the films be sure to write to t the town,

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

That's a good idea if the various towns answer the requests. Of course that is only a guessing game. Many do not acknowledge anything. I wish it was mandatory for them to forward records to the Archives. At least the Archives will acknowledge you and your request.

I might add, the various towns handle their records much like the many of the local churches. They help out "if they feel like it".

lilbees

lynne
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:
I might add, the various towns handle their records much like the many of the local churches. They help out "if they feel like it".

lilbees

I agree. I wrote to the Officio di Stato Civile in Caulonia a year and a half ago requesting copies of my MGGF's and MGGM's birth certificates...I have yet to hear anything. So frustrating...

Researching Ali, Crisafi, Garuccio, Grigora, Guarna, Niutta, Puccio in Caulonia
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

Lynne, I have had the same problem! Only once they responded quickly (from my grandfather's town) and the other three times I have had to get someone to call and follow up for me. Honestly, sometimes it makes sense to hire someone.

Calabria Exchange
MauroMags
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

I hired someone, paid lots of money too.... and got nothing in return... Sad
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

Mauro, I think it depends on who you hire, as well. Thankfully I was lucky. I'm sorry you were as fortunate though. Is there anything we might be able to help you with?

Calabria Exchange
MauroMags
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

No worries Nuccia, Smile

I realize now that I needed to approach the parish records myself and not send an intermediary. There are subtle intracacies in Southern Italy that even the "professionals" don't know how to navigate around.

Everyone here at Gente are treasures Smile Any bad experience i may have are balanced out by everyone here
lynne
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

MauroMags wrote:
I hired someone, paid lots of money too.... and got nothing in return... Sad

I'm sorry to hear that (and I've been seriously thinking about taking this route, too)...

Does anyone have any positive feedback? (Nuccia, did you use a professional researcher)?

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

I never did..years back, I was tempted. I am glad I didnt do it because eventually, what I needed was available to me.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

To be honest Lynne, I actually did ask Riccardo for help on a few occasions. There were some things I just couldn't do on my own and I needed someone I could trust. So far he hasn't disappointed me.

Having said that I just wanted to mention that I chose to use his services outside the free advice he gives here and it was well worth it for me. The man is relentless when he wants to find information for someone! Smile

Calabria Exchange
lynne
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New records on Ancestry.com Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Nuccia. That's good to know. I'm glad to hear Riccardo was of additional help to you.

I joined ancestry.com thinking I would find out new information, but so far I've only found out things I already know! Oh, well...glad I only joined for a month...

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: