x
Toggle Content Register or Login  -  September 22, 2017, 6:39 pm
Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: rictallarico
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 1874

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 32
Total: 32
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Community Forums
02: Photo Gallery
03: Community Forums
04: Community Forums
05: Community Forums
06: Community Forums
07: Community Forums
08: My Account
09: Community Forums
10: My Account
11: Community Forums
12: Community Forums
13: Community Forums
14: Community Forums
15: Community Forums
16: Stories Archive
17: Community Forums
18: Community Forums
19: Community Forums
20: Community Forums
21: Community Forums
22: Community Forums
23: Community Forums
24: Community Forums
25: Community Forums
26: Community Forums
27: Community Forums
28: Community Forums
29: Community Forums
30: Community Forums
31: Community Forums
32: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by MSDEMAMBRO in Central Italy on Sep 22, 2017 at 16:04:49

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Dangat in Southern Italy on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:56:33

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Dangat in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:47:34

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › Non-Italian Genealogy › An Unusual Way to Find an Ancestor...

     Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
An Unusual Way to Find an Ancestor...
Looking for non-Italian records? Post your questions here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Non-Italian Genealogy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Robert
Explorer
Explorer


Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Posts: 55
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: An Unusual Way to Find an Ancestor... Reply with quote

It is strange really, one little medical fact about my family has been common knowledge to me for many years, but it is only today that I realised just how useful it is to trace my family history.

My family (down my mothers line) are carriers of a relatively rare genetic disease known as variegate porphyria. This is a disease that is very well recorded in white South African (primarily Afrikaner) bloodlines and a full genealogy going back to the person who brought the disease to South Africa exists. That first carrier, Ariaantje Adriaanse, arrived in South Africa in 1688.

With my mothers family I have been unable to get further than her great-grandparents as records are difficult to access from abroad, and here, right in front of me for years it seems, is a solution to that problem - at least one half of her lineage has been tracked back to 1688 for me, I just need to access the data!

I am sharing this information here as I think it serves to illustrate the point that sometimes the solution to genealogical problems can a) be staring us in the face and we don't recognise it for what it is and b) can come from the most unlikely of sources.

_________________
Researching: Amato, Vergottini, Zazzaretta
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Carole
Admin
Admin


Joined: Jul 10, 2007
Posts: 1662
Location: Valtellina - Near Lake Como

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Way to Find an Ancestor... Reply with quote

That is quite an incredible discovery Robert, and I'm sure many of us have been 'staring at wood' for years and have been 'unable to see the trees.'

I would never have put two and two togehter I don't think... so clever old you for doing so. Do let us know how you manage to trace back to 1688 and how many generatios you find.

BTW - "Who do you think you are?" 9pm on BBC1 tomorrow night should be good... it's Boris Johnson the Mayor of London!
>Boris Johnson Programme trailer<

Last week's was good with Patsy Kensit. What a surprise her family turned out to be....

_________________

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Back to top
View user's profile
Robert
Explorer
Explorer


Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Posts: 55
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Way to Find an Ancestor... Reply with quote

Carole wrote:
That is quite an incredible discovery Robert, and I'm sure many of us have been 'staring at wood' for years and have been 'unable to see the trees.'

I would never have put two and two togehter I don't think... so clever old you for doing so. Do let us know how you manage to trace back to 1688 and how many generatios you find.

BTW - "Who do you think you are?" 9pm on BBC1 tomorrow night should be good... it's Boris Johnson the Mayor of London!
>Boris Johnson Programme trailer<

Last week's was good with Patsy Kensit. What a surprise her family turned out to be....

Boris Johnson - isn't he descended from some albino gorillas that escaped from London Zoo in the late 1880's?

_________________
Researching: Amato, Vergottini, Zazzaretta
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Carole
Admin
Admin


Joined: Jul 10, 2007
Posts: 1662
Location: Valtellina - Near Lake Como

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Way to Find an Ancestor... Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Carole wrote:
That is quite an incredible discovery Robert, and I'm sure many of us have been 'staring at wood' for years and have been 'unable to see the trees.'

I would never have put two and two togehter I don't think... so clever old you for doing so. Do let us know how you manage to trace back to 1688 and how many generatios you find.

BTW - "Who do you think you are?" 9pm on BBC1 tomorrow night should be good... it's Boris Johnson the Mayor of London!
>Boris Johnson Programme trailer<

Last week's was good with Patsy Kensit. What a surprise her family turned out to be....
Boris Johnson - isn't he descended from some albino gorillas that escaped from London Zoo in the late 1880's?

Yes - that's the guy.....

Here's his latest 'Press Release Photo'


_________________

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Back to top
View user's profile
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Non-Italian Genealogy Printer Friendly Page

  
 
Jump to:  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Hosted By Site5.com
The logos and trademarks used on this site are the property of Gente di Mare Genealogy.
We are not responsible for comments posted by our users, as they are the opinions of the poster.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy
TCD_ItalianGene © Gente di Mare Genealogy