Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Census Question?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Census Question?
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Census Question? Reply with quote

Would a census for a town, 1880-1890, in their listings only list the commune they are residents of at the time? If not, what other information would be listed?

lilbees

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

Hmm..good question. I don't think I have ever seen an Italian census record so I hope someone can answer this.

Calabria Exchange
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

You can see samples of Italian census records on my website. They are nothing like the US or British census records. Each town did its own in its way it would seem. Information includes name, parents, date of birth, marital status, occupation, sometimes town of birth, depends on the year or town.

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

Italysearcher, thank you for the samples. It is most appreciated. Gives new insight.

lilbees

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

Thanks Ann. Will check it out. Smile

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

Ann: Did all comuni do censuses? Do you know the time periods that might be available to the public? Thanks!

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

This link may be of some interest regarding Italian Census' (censimenti)

>Italy - National Statistics<

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

The link Carole posted is strictly statsitics, the kind of thing released by the government and contains no genealogical data.
Most towns that I have searched did some kind of census around 1861. Then, like today, to access certain services, like health benefits or to vote, you have to be registered in the town where you have residence. This is no necessarily where you live. The Comune updates these registrations regularly by sending out mail which you have to return, if not the police are sent to find out if you still live in town. In the town where I live the 1861 census (Regiter of the Population) still exists and was updated until 1905. The next was 1921 and is in no particualr order, a folder for each family was created and filed numerically as created. It was updated until 1930. I have been asked to search it so many times I created an index of Heads of Households for my own use. Then there was one in 1931, same format but not updated afterwards.
Other towns use the individual card file and stamp each time they do a census. (see sample on my website.) When you make a request for a certificate without a full date, the town will sometimes use these old records to find your information but they are not accessible except in person at the Comune office (if they let you see it.)

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

The town I am researching has said they do not have any census information prior to 1929. They are also unable to do a family story prior to that date as well.

I was hoping to find something relating to my great grandfather prior to that (1865-1875) Is there some other document or place I may search? I did write to the Archives in Salerno in hopes of finding something. I have not received a reply as yet.

lilbees

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

Quote::
By Italysearcher: "...........The link Carole posted is strictly statsitics, the kind of thing released by the government and contains no genealogical data."

That is very true and I can only apologise.

Perhaps I should have suggested that a quick browse would show such things as an excellent section on old Italian maps, that I'm sure would be useful when trying to determine 'where' (in which country/province/region) a place was in a certain year.

>60 Old Italian Maps<

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

What town are you searching? How did you ask the question about census data? Sometimes, here, the way you ask the question determines the type of answer you receive. I could call them for you if you like and see what they do have. Are there no LDS microfilms before 1865?

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Census Question? Reply with quote

I am looking for a census for Roccapiemonte, Salerno, Campania 1770-1880. I was told they do not exist until 1929 in that commune. I have written to the local church to see if there may be census records available but have had no reponse yet. The Church was quite helpful this year in finding the baptismal records for my great grandfather and his siblings. Luca, on this forum, was kind enough to make the calls for me which led to the results I now have. Without his kindness to me and the call he made, this could never have come about.

No records for most of Campania were microfilmed. It seems many of the original record books from Roccapiemonte were quite damaged. I have received certificates of birth for my family but no actual copies of the records. It seems this information may have been from an index rather than an actual document. I then contacted the Salerno Archives to see if they may have actual records that they might copy I am still waiting for their response. If it is possible I am sure they will do so. I have already received notices of damaged books from the Archives relating to my great great grandparents born 1810. They are in the process of restoring those books. It would be nice to have some kind of census from them for 1820-1830 to see if I can learn of my great great grandfathers siblings.

I thank you for your offer. It is much appreciated but I don't believe it would be of much help. Now, if only you could come up with a place of birth for my great grandmother Angela Catalano that would indeed be a miracle for me. Nothing I have gives her original commune other than the records I have from Tunisia. They came from the Church Archives there and only state "Castellammare di Napoli". Nothing specfic! Of course with the church records you don't get copy of the originals, only extracts.

Thank you again,
lilbees

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: